How do I mass-extract email addresses out of several word documents at once?

Anonymous
2011-07-17T15:24:20+00:00

Hello All,

I have an important question.

How do I mass-extract email addresses out of several word documents at once?

I have a folder saved on my desktop with about 12000 word documents. All these documents have an email address in them but I want to know how to export all these email addresses without opening every single file one by one.

I hope somebody can help.

Kind regards,

EM

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-07-18T05:02:41+00:00

It is not possible to extract the e-mail addresses without opening the documents, but the process can be automated with a macro. The following may do what you want, so try it on a folder containing ONLY a small subset of the documents before attempting to try it on a huge number of files. The following macro will extract any e-mail address in the documents and write them, one to a line, to a new document. It will not make any permanent changes to the documents themselves.

NOTE: IT WILL CRASH IF ANY OF THE DOCUMENTS ARE PASSWORD PROTECTED

http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

Sub BatchProcess()

Dim strFilename As String

Dim strPath As String

Dim oDoc As Document

Dim oNewDoc As Document

Dim oRng As Range

Dim hLink As Hyperlink

Dim fDialog As FileDialog

Set oNewDoc = Documents.Add

Options.AutoFormatReplaceHyperlinks = True

Set fDialog = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFolderPicker)

With fDialog

    .Title = "Select folder containing the documents and click OK"

    .AllowMultiSelect = False

    .InitialView = msoFileDialogViewList

    If .Show <> -1 Then

        MsgBox "Cancelled By User", , _

               "List Folder Contents"

        Exit Sub

    End If

    strPath = fDialog.SelectedItems.Item(1)

    If Right(strPath, 1) <> "" _

       Then strPath = strPath + ""

End With

If Left(strPath, 1) = Chr(34) Then

    strPath = Mid(strPath, 2, Len(strPath) - 2)

End If

strFilename = Dir$(strPath & "*.doc?")

While Len(strFilename) <> 0

    WordBasic.DisableAutoMacros 1

    Set oDoc = Documents.Open(strPath & strFilename)

    oDoc.Range.AutoFormat

    For Each hLink In oDoc.Hyperlinks

        If InStr(1, hLink.Address, "@") Then

            oNewDoc.Range.InsertAfter hLink.Range & vbCr

        End If

    Next hLink

    oDoc.Close SaveChanges:=wdDoNotSaveChanges

    WordBasic.DisableAutoMacros 0

    strFilename = Dir$()

Wend

oNewDoc.Paragraphs.Last.Range.Delete

oNewDoc.Range.Sort

oNewDoc.Range.Find.Execute FindText:="(*^13)@", _

                           MatchWildcards:=True, _

                           ReplaceWith:="\1", _

                           Replace:=wdReplaceAll

End Sub

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-06-11T06:52:04+00:00

    Hey Doug,

    Sorry I'm new to ths all. I put the excel in a folder and shared the folder. So I hope the link to the folder works now and that you can open the excel.

    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=114309156909a90e!114&authkey=!AN3xQdNe55xKBZE&ithint=folder%2cxls

    Thanks,

    Chip

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-06-10T20:50:08+00:00

    When I try and access that folder, I receive the following message:

    You need to set the folder to be shared and then get a link to the folder and post it back here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-10T19:14:36+00:00

    Hey Doug,

    Well this is an example: 

    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=114309156909A90E!112&authkey=!AFqG2edtYUNIHNk&ithint=file%2cxls

    In some files there is more content and less emails or even none. And in some there are multiple sheets (mostly not). So I need a way to extract them all, a bit like what this word Macro thus but then for excel.

    The mails can be placed in a new word doc (like the current macro in this topic oes) or new excel file.

    I hope someone has a clue on how to do this or how to adapt the macro?

    Thanks!

    Chip

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-06-09T22:41:25+00:00

    It would be easier to help with that if you put a copy of the Excel Workbook in a folder on your OneDrive that you set to be shared and you copy and paste a link to that folder into a message that you post back here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments