How do I mass-extract email addresses out of several word documents at once?

Anonymous
2011-07-17T15:24:20+00:00

Hello All,

I have an important question.

How do I mass-extract email addresses out of several word documents at once?

I have a folder saved on my desktop with about 12000 word documents. All these documents have an email address in them but I want to know how to export all these email addresses without opening every single file one by one.

I hope somebody can help.

Kind regards,

EM

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-07-18T05:02:41+00:00

It is not possible to extract the e-mail addresses without opening the documents, but the process can be automated with a macro. The following may do what you want, so try it on a folder containing ONLY a small subset of the documents before attempting to try it on a huge number of files. The following macro will extract any e-mail address in the documents and write them, one to a line, to a new document. It will not make any permanent changes to the documents themselves.

NOTE: IT WILL CRASH IF ANY OF THE DOCUMENTS ARE PASSWORD PROTECTED

http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

Sub BatchProcess()

Dim strFilename As String

Dim strPath As String

Dim oDoc As Document

Dim oNewDoc As Document

Dim oRng As Range

Dim hLink As Hyperlink

Dim fDialog As FileDialog

Set oNewDoc = Documents.Add

Options.AutoFormatReplaceHyperlinks = True

Set fDialog = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFolderPicker)

With fDialog

    .Title = "Select folder containing the documents and click OK"

    .AllowMultiSelect = False

    .InitialView = msoFileDialogViewList

    If .Show <> -1 Then

        MsgBox "Cancelled By User", , _

               "List Folder Contents"

        Exit Sub

    End If

    strPath = fDialog.SelectedItems.Item(1)

    If Right(strPath, 1) <> "" _

       Then strPath = strPath + ""

End With

If Left(strPath, 1) = Chr(34) Then

    strPath = Mid(strPath, 2, Len(strPath) - 2)

End If

strFilename = Dir$(strPath & "*.doc?")

While Len(strFilename) <> 0

    WordBasic.DisableAutoMacros 1

    Set oDoc = Documents.Open(strPath & strFilename)

    oDoc.Range.AutoFormat

    For Each hLink In oDoc.Hyperlinks

        If InStr(1, hLink.Address, "@") Then

            oNewDoc.Range.InsertAfter hLink.Range & vbCr

        End If

    Next hLink

    oDoc.Close SaveChanges:=wdDoNotSaveChanges

    WordBasic.DisableAutoMacros 0

    strFilename = Dir$()

Wend

oNewDoc.Paragraphs.Last.Range.Delete

oNewDoc.Range.Sort

oNewDoc.Range.Find.Execute FindText:="(*^13)@", _

                           MatchWildcards:=True, _

                           ReplaceWith:="\1", _

                           Replace:=wdReplaceAll

End Sub

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-08-25T17:21:23+00:00

    WOw. this is great. How could you modify this to work with hyperlinks. Also, I am not sure if this possible, but thought i would give it a try. I have a few thousand "DOCX" docs that I want to use this for. They all have links for references, and I would like to extract them to a database at some point. But, for now if i could just list them all in a spreadsheet or word doc, that would be great.

    The references are formatted like this

    Site Name and Description

    http://www.somesite.com/somepage.html

    Is it possible to have a macro extract the line of text just before the link as well?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-11-25T06:25:52+00:00

    Thanks for the macro. I just needed something for a single file. It worked exactly as you stated it would and I had my e-mail addresses minutes after I read your posting.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-07-17T15:59:47+00:00

    Thank you. Is it possible to get a free software that could do that?

    Thanks.

    EM.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-07-17T15:45:20+00:00

    Theres nothing within Outlook or Word that could accomplish this.

    Maybe a third part utility, assuming you dont wish to start coding

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments