Project 2010 Timescale Error.

Anonymous
2011-09-14T14:46:00+00:00

I have a sample project which has very short tasks(1-2 minutes).  If I set the timescale options to display minutes with a count of 1, the Gantt chart frequently displays incorrectly.  The Gantt chart show tasks starting 1 minute before the start of working time (Standard Calendar), the timescale count is variable (2 or occasionally 3 minutes) and the Gantt bars do not display correctly, either with the wrong duration or just a short vertical line.  Is this a know bug?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-10-31T08:05:32+00:00

Hi Mike,

Sorry but I fail to see what a re-post could do after 40 replies and the finding that yes, I can reproduce the error and that it has been carried forward to the product team :-(

Greetings,

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-09-22T07:16:42+00:00

    Hi John

    Hi Jonh

    Whilst I appreciate the need for email privacy, we clearly have an issue here.  So lets try this another way.

    I have listed below the file in question.

    • Create a new project and set it to Auto Scheduling
    • Input the tasks and durations as shown (note the summary tasks)
    • Change the timescale to one tier formatted as minutes with a count of 1Input the predecessor information as shown ( I normally do this via drag and drop but any method is fine)
    • Watch the Timescale and Gantt chart display incorrectly!

    Hope thats clear

    Thanks

    Greg

    ID Task Name <br>Duration <br>Predecessors
    1 Start <br>0 days
    2 Fill Kettle <br>1 min <br>1
    3 Boil Water in Kettle <br>3 mins <br>2
    4 Crockery <br>0 days <br>1
    5 Get Teapot <br>1 min
    6 Get Cup & Saucers <br>1 min
    7 Ingredients <br>0 days <br>1
    8 Get Tea <br>1 min
    9 Get Milk & Sugar <br>1 min
    10 Warm Teapot <br>1 min <br>3,5
    11 Tea into Teapot <br>1 min <br>10,8
    12 Boiling Water into Teapot <br>1 min <br>3,11
    13 Brew Tea <br>3 mins <br>12
    14 Milk & Sugar into Cup <br>1 min <br>6,9
    15 Pour Tea <br>2 mins <br>13,14
    16 Drink Tea <br>0 days <br>15

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. John Project 49,720 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2011-09-22T18:07:05+00:00

    Greg,

    I entered your little tea party schedule into Project 2010. The Gantt display shows at start of 8:00AM on 9/22/11 and a finish at 8:12AM on 9/22/11. I tried playing with virtually every parameter on the timescale window and I could not get it to display erratically, every minute is shown, nothing unusual.

    Do you have anything "funny" with your project calendar? Are you using the default calendar options (i.e. File/Options/Schedule item)?

    You mention the timeline. Do you have the timeline displayed? If so, how does the timescale look without the timeline?

    I'm not sure sending me your file would help, unless you have some unusual setting that we just haven't discussed and that setting is saved with the file. My gut feeling is that you will send me the file, I'll open it and it will work fine. But, my curiosity is piqued. With regard to my e-mail, I put two redundancies into my address to foil spammers. I put two "ats" and two "dots" in the e-mail text string. If you remove one of each the resulting address is correct. Those are the "obvious redundancies". If you're game, try again.

    John

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-09-23T08:00:04+00:00

    Thanks John

    I am surprised that you are seeing something different to me.  I have now tried this on over a dozen installations (my own and clients) and see the problems consistantly. 

    There is nothing 'funny' with the calendar.  I have been using all the default options and the file was created exactly as I described previously.

    I agree that sending the file probably would not help, but I have tried again anyway, along with a screenshot of the resultant timescale error.

    Greg

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-09-23T09:05:29+00:00

    Hi Gregg,

    As you may see for yourself right now, e-mail addresses are automatically removd from posts. That is why we replace @ (official name is the AT-sign) by AT when we post an address; moreover John usually also replaces the . in his e-mail adress by dot. This will allow uoyou to re-create his real address (just remove at and dot since you replaces it rightly by @ and .). If yiu stiil don't get out of it you may try my address I'll have a look:

    jandemesATprom-ade.com

    REplace the AT by @  !!!

    Greetings,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments