Excel 2010 Drop-Down disappears when file is saved/reopened

Anonymous
2010-12-02T17:45:10+00:00

I have a workbook created in Excel 2010.  I used Data Validation to create a drop-down list in a cell that uses a different column of data for the list of values.  I selected  "List" in data validation and made sure that "in cell drop-down" is selected.  the Drop Down list works fine while I have the spreadsheet open.  For business purposes, I need to protect both the worksheet and workbook structure but the drop-down cells are unlocked and not hidden.  The source data is both locked and hidden.  Everything works fine until I save and close the workbook and then reopen it.  The drop-down arrow still appears but the list does not pop up when the cell/arrow is selected.  When I select "Data Validation" again, it says it allows "Any Value".  That is, the validation is gone.

I know in excel 2007 there was an issue with frozen panes using drop downs.  i have no frozen panes.  the cell DOES, however, have a name applied to it so it can be referenced by name in other places in the workbook.  But other drop-downs without names also have the same problem.

Please help.  I am really under the gun to get this working and will be completely stuck without these data validation fields.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-31T09:48:34+00:00

Hi, I have been having the same problem.  I have just saved the Excel file as a Macro Enabled workbook and problem has resolved.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-12-03T14:29:47+00:00

Opened workbook by filename 'TEST.xlsx'.

Entered an sample list of names in Sheet2 A1:A10

Selected cell A1 in sheet1> data tab> datavalidation> list> source =Sheet2!A1:A10 (Check in cell drop down)>ok

Sheet1 A1>Format cells> protection> uncheck loceked> ok.   Now when sheet1 is active> Protect sheet>ok; protect workbook> ok

I saved an reopened it, it worked . It worked like a charm.

Please provide step by step on how you trying to work on excel file. I am sure some where its problem in the course of data validating:(


Keep Eye on your TIME, Not on your WATCH.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-22T16:28:50+00:00

    I had a similar problem. It was working in excel 2010, but not in excel 2007 in another machine.

    Excel 2007 doesn't support to put validation lists in separate pages. You need to put everything in the same page if you want it to run in 2007. 2010 supports multiple pages for this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-07-10T20:15:50+00:00

    Had the same problem...tried several things before I finally fixed it.  You know how in the data validation menu when you select "List" and then you go to pick your range you should be able to just select cells A1:A5?  Well when I was doing that it would always be gone after the save. 

    Instead, I just highlighted the range A1:A5 and named the range, say, "Groceries" .  Then I went into Data Validation, selected "List" and typed =Groceries instead of selecting a range.  Saved it, opened it, and it worked.  No idea why you would have to name every range, but it seems to have worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-29T06:48:33+00:00

    Hi folks,

    I had been faced same problem an year's ago,the reason i had found for that problem with its file format which was .xls it won't support data vaildation check drop down or keen show some unexpected result and after i have changed file format to .xlsx format its make perfectly allright.

    Don't do unknow excercise and waste your precise time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments