Excel 2010 Drop-Down disappears when file is saved/reopened

Anonymous
2010-12-02T17:45:10+00:00

I have a workbook created in Excel 2010.  I used Data Validation to create a drop-down list in a cell that uses a different column of data for the list of values.  I selected  "List" in data validation and made sure that "in cell drop-down" is selected.  the Drop Down list works fine while I have the spreadsheet open.  For business purposes, I need to protect both the worksheet and workbook structure but the drop-down cells are unlocked and not hidden.  The source data is both locked and hidden.  Everything works fine until I save and close the workbook and then reopen it.  The drop-down arrow still appears but the list does not pop up when the cell/arrow is selected.  When I select "Data Validation" again, it says it allows "Any Value".  That is, the validation is gone.

I know in excel 2007 there was an issue with frozen panes using drop downs.  i have no frozen panes.  the cell DOES, however, have a name applied to it so it can be referenced by name in other places in the workbook.  But other drop-downs without names also have the same problem.

Please help.  I am really under the gun to get this working and will be completely stuck without these data validation fields.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-31T09:48:34+00:00

Hi, I have been having the same problem.  I have just saved the Excel file as a Macro Enabled workbook and problem has resolved.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-12-03T14:29:47+00:00

Opened workbook by filename 'TEST.xlsx'.

Entered an sample list of names in Sheet2 A1:A10

Selected cell A1 in sheet1> data tab> datavalidation> list> source =Sheet2!A1:A10 (Check in cell drop down)>ok

Sheet1 A1>Format cells> protection> uncheck loceked> ok.   Now when sheet1 is active> Protect sheet>ok; protect workbook> ok

I saved an reopened it, it worked . It worked like a charm.

Please provide step by step on how you trying to work on excel file. I am sure some where its problem in the course of data validating:(


Keep Eye on your TIME, Not on your WATCH.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-24T09:23:14+00:00

    I did this from the start and it makes no difference, I still have the same problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-04-14T13:57:05+00:00

    I'm more than 6 years late to the game, but in order to do this (I had the same problem for one column but not another on the same worksheet, which completely played with my mind), you'll have to select the range of cells and name them, which can be done by locating the name box on the far left of the formula bar, and entering a name for the cells you selected (example "Status"). Then redo all the steps regarding data validation as you had done, but this time, when you highlight the referenced range, the "name" of the range you selected will appear in the Source box, as opposed to a range (example B3:B6). I believe this helps the sheet reference saved cells as opposed to just a range of data, as this has alleviated the issue for myself, as I've saved/closed/reopened and even copied the worksheet to a separate file and it's functional.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-22T16:28:50+00:00

    I had a similar problem. It was working in excel 2010, but not in excel 2007 in another machine.

    Excel 2007 doesn't support to put validation lists in separate pages. You need to put everything in the same page if you want it to run in 2007. 2010 supports multiple pages for this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments