A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Hi, I have been having the same problem. I have just saved the Excel file as a Macro Enabled workbook and problem has resolved.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have a workbook created in Excel 2010. I used Data Validation to create a drop-down list in a cell that uses a different column of data for the list of values. I selected "List" in data validation and made sure that "in cell drop-down" is selected. the Drop Down list works fine while I have the spreadsheet open. For business purposes, I need to protect both the worksheet and workbook structure but the drop-down cells are unlocked and not hidden. The source data is both locked and hidden. Everything works fine until I save and close the workbook and then reopen it. The drop-down arrow still appears but the list does not pop up when the cell/arrow is selected. When I select "Data Validation" again, it says it allows "Any Value". That is, the validation is gone.
I know in excel 2007 there was an issue with frozen panes using drop downs. i have no frozen panes. the cell DOES, however, have a name applied to it so it can be referenced by name in other places in the workbook. But other drop-downs without names also have the same problem.
Please help. I am really under the gun to get this working and will be completely stuck without these data validation fields.
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi, I have been having the same problem. I have just saved the Excel file as a Macro Enabled workbook and problem has resolved.
Opened workbook by filename 'TEST.xlsx'.
Entered an sample list of names in Sheet2 A1:A10
Selected cell A1 in sheet1> data tab> datavalidation> list> source =Sheet2!A1:A10 (Check in cell drop down)>ok
Sheet1 A1>Format cells> protection> uncheck loceked> ok. Now when sheet1 is active> Protect sheet>ok; protect workbook> ok
I saved an reopened it, it worked . It worked like a charm.
Please provide step by step on how you trying to work on excel file. I am sure some where its problem in the course of data validating:(
Keep Eye on your TIME, Not on your WATCH.
Erik,
You're welcome and I'm glad it worked ! This is a great community forum to help each other.
Edward (-:
Tried this but the setting was already "All" and it's still clearing the data validation when I save and reopen the workbook.
I hope someone has seen this and solved it. I have no Macros in this workbook.
Thanks, Erik
Erik,
I had to save my excel file as a "excel macro-enabled" file. That solved my problem with the drop down data validation. It made no sense to me, but it worked.
Edward
Edward,
That worked. Thanks so much! That's fascinating.
Erik
You made my day, dude. stumble across this hiccup while writing my vba code, could not found my way around without your help. cheers