Finding the character where two strings do not match

Anonymous
2010-06-11T16:18:02+00:00

I have 2 cells B2 and C2 with strings.

I can tell whether they match or not easily enough.  But I am not sure how to identify the character where the two strings diverge.  Can it be done with a formula (ideas?) or do I need to create a new one (eh?)?

Thanks all. :)

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-12T14:02:24+00:00

Nice formula Bernd; however, I would suggest this modification to it so that it can be copied down into blank rows (in anticipation of future entries)...

=IF(AND(B2="",C2=""),"",LOOKUP(2,1/(1=FIND(LEFT(" "&B2,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN(B2))))," "&C2)),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN(B2)))))

I would note for the OP that this formula is entered normally (that is, it is NOT an array-entered formula). And I would also note that the formula is is case-sensitive; the case-insensitive version of it would be this...

=IF(AND(B14="",C14=""),"",LOOKUP(2,1/(1=FIND(LEFT(" "&UPPER(B14),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN(B14))))," "&UPPER(C14))),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN(B14)))))

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-12T09:25:06+00:00

I have 2 cells B2 and C2 with strings.

I can tell whether they match or not easily enough.  But I am not sure how to identify the character where the two strings diverge.  Can it be done with a formula (ideas?) or do I need to create a new one (eh?)?

Thanks all. :)

Hello,

I suggest to use

=LOOKUP(2,1/(1=FIND(LEFT(" "&B2,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN(B2))))," "&C2)),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN(B2))))

Regards,

Bernd

PS: [Edited on 12-June 11:57 GMT] If VBA is an option you can also use

Function NonMatchPos(s1 As String, s2 As String) As Long

Dim i As Long

i = 1

Do While i <= Len(s1) And i <= Len(s2)

    If Mid(s1, i, 1) <> Mid(s2, i, 1) Then Exit Do

    i = i + 1

Loop

NonMatchPos = i

End Function


www.sulprobil.com

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-06-13T00:05:34+00:00

    Hi Rick,

    You did read the original post? The OP is using 2007?  You did read my post - I pointed out that the formula would not work in 2003?

    I don't understand the 1/1= part, why not simplify bernd's origina formula to

    =LOOKUP(2,FIND(LEFT(" "&A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN(A1))))," "&B1),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN(A1))))


    If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Micky Avidan *** מיקי אבידן 16,531 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2010-06-12T16:54:11+00:00

    Sorry....  I had a TYPO.


    If my reply resolved your question/problem - please check it as 'Answered'. If it was only for some help, please click the 'Vote as Helpful' button. Thanks. Micky (Microsoft® MVP - Excel)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-06-12T16:29:03+00:00

    In what way did it fail? I get the returned value as 2, which is what I would expect it to be as the 2nd character position is where the text strings stop being equal

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments