Finding the character where two strings do not match

Anonymous
2010-06-11T16:18:02+00:00

I have 2 cells B2 and C2 with strings.

I can tell whether they match or not easily enough.  But I am not sure how to identify the character where the two strings diverge.  Can it be done with a formula (ideas?) or do I need to create a new one (eh?)?

Thanks all. :)

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-12T14:02:24+00:00

Nice formula Bernd; however, I would suggest this modification to it so that it can be copied down into blank rows (in anticipation of future entries)...

=IF(AND(B2="",C2=""),"",LOOKUP(2,1/(1=FIND(LEFT(" "&B2,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN(B2))))," "&C2)),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN(B2)))))

I would note for the OP that this formula is entered normally (that is, it is NOT an array-entered formula). And I would also note that the formula is is case-sensitive; the case-insensitive version of it would be this...

=IF(AND(B14="",C14=""),"",LOOKUP(2,1/(1=FIND(LEFT(" "&UPPER(B14),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN(B14))))," "&UPPER(C14))),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN(B14)))))

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-12T09:25:06+00:00

I have 2 cells B2 and C2 with strings.

I can tell whether they match or not easily enough.  But I am not sure how to identify the character where the two strings diverge.  Can it be done with a formula (ideas?) or do I need to create a new one (eh?)?

Thanks all. :)

Hello,

I suggest to use

=LOOKUP(2,1/(1=FIND(LEFT(" "&B2,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN(B2))))," "&C2)),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN(B2))))

Regards,

Bernd

PS: [Edited on 12-June 11:57 GMT] If VBA is an option you can also use

Function NonMatchPos(s1 As String, s2 As String) As Long

Dim i As Long

i = 1

Do While i <= Len(s1) And i <= Len(s2)

    If Mid(s1, i, 1) <> Mid(s2, i, 1) Then Exit Do

    i = i + 1

Loop

NonMatchPos = i

End Function


www.sulprobil.com

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Micky Avidan *** מיקי אבידן 16,531 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2010-06-12T16:15:27+00:00

    Hi, Rick,

    Unfortunatelly your Case-sensitive formula fails at:

    A1                   B1 

    a assdfg

    Shalom and Shavua Tov,


    Micky (Microsoft® MVP - Excel)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-06-12T09:51:31+00:00

    ------------------------Excellent-----------------------


    If this post answers your question, please mark it as the Answer.

    Mike H

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-06-12T07:00:48+00:00

    I get a #NAME? error with your F3 formula because I am using XL2003... IFERROR is an XL2007 (and XL2010 I guess) function, so that formula appears to be limited to that version of Excel.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments