Word/Excel 2010 Merge - Error has occurred: External table is not in the expected format.

Anonymous
2010-07-01T14:18:54+00:00

We are trying to do a mail merge using Word 2010.  If we use Excel files which were originally saved when we used 2007 or if we create new 2010 files we receive the error message: External table is not in the expected format.

If we go back and open the Excel file and "save as" an Excel 97-2003 file, the merge then works. 

Is there something we can do to change this.  It effects all of the computers at our college which were just upgraded to Windows 7 / Office 2010.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-12-07T15:55:18+00:00

Hello,

My name is Ross and I am a Support Engineer for Microsoft Word. I have worked on this issue with a customer and the cause was determined to be an incorrect installation order of multiple versions of Office Products. In this case it was Office 2010 and SharePoint Designer 2007. Microsoft does not support having multiple versions of Office products installed, but if you must, then we recommend installing them oldest version to newest version. Please see this KB article for more information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2121447. In this case, doing a repair of Microsoft Office 2010 after the initial incorrect installation order has resolved the issue. I hope this information helps answer the questions posted on this thread.

Thank you,

Ross

Microsoft Office Word

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-02T21:52:09+00:00

Hello,

I have an update to this issue. This KB details the registry key that causes the issue and how to fix it. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2459087.

Thanks,

Ross

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-25T21:51:44+00:00

    I had the same issue as the initial author.

    When I select http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2459087 , the Acc: Connection Error when using CurrentProject.Connection or CurrentDB.Connection web page seemed to have nothing to do with the Word/Excel 2010 Merge - Error has occurred: External table is not in the expected format and the other link given did not appear to have a solution.

    I looked at the computers with the problem and noted they had Visio 2007. I took a computer (never had Office 2010) with Office 2007 and Visio 2007 and uninstall Office 2007 then install Office 2010. I did not have the error message.

    Taking the first computer with the Error has occurred: External table is not in the expected format. I uninstalled Office 2010, uninstalled:

    Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies

    Microsoft Office file validation add-in

    Microsoft Office Live Meeting 2007

    Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders Backup

    and left Visio 2007. I reinstalled Office 2010 and did not have the error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-09T08:37:19+00:00

    Brilliant, thank you Ross.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-01-23T14:05:53+00:00

    the KB article you site appears to talk about Access. Does it apply to all instances of running different or multiple versions of Office products?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments