Why can't I move the Word 2007 insertion point cursor or highlight text or pictures with the mouse after I type text when using Word 2007 on Windows 7 64-bit?

Anonymous
2009-10-31T21:15:12+00:00

Symptoms:

1)     The common fixes from the past do not resolve this problem on Windows 7 64-bit.

2)     When you open an existing Word document you are able to use the mouse as usual to move the insertion point cursor to different sections of the document, to select objects (like pictures) within the document, and to highlight existing text as expected. As soon as you type anything new anywhere in the document and push the Enter key (or just push the Enter key) the mouse can no longer be used to move the insertion point to another location in the document nor can it select text or objects. The arrow and shift keys still allow you to move around the document and select objects.

3)     When you create a new document you are able to type normally to add text to the Word document. As soon as you type anything in the document and push the Enter key (or just push the Enter key) the mouse can no longer be used to move the insertion point to another location in the document nor can it select text or objects. The arrow and shift keys still allow you to move around the document and select objects.

4)     You CAN use the mouse to select Word menus and buttons on the ribbon bar but you cannot use the mouse on or inside the Word document itself once the condition occurs after typing begins.  The mouse works fine and as expected in Excel and every other application.

5)     As soon as ANY open Word document is impacted by the "mouse stopped working" problem, all other open Word documents can't use the mouse either until Word is closed and you start the tests over again.

Solutions that did not work for me:

Similar symptoms have been reported by others using Word 2007 and 2003 on Windows 7, Vista, and XP but I have not found an acceptable solution to this problem with this system configuration.  It seems related to some kind of UAC or permission problem or is 64-bit specific but I am not certain.

I have already tried the following:

  • Rerun Office Suite 2007 SP2 to confirm it was installed.
  • Tried (twice) to rename the original, "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Data" registry key as suggested in these posts.  The new Data key gets created by Word and new values are added to the registry key but problem remains.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/921541

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?&query=can't+use+mouse+to+select+text&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.word.application.errors&p=1&tid=55756d03-e864-4566-aaf9-11b2edc28e5f&mid=16025683-dff2-4ad9-9fc7-0144fee5f43c

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vistawu/thread/c64e9c05-2bc4-4837-aec1-fb675120403b

I only had 3 Add-ins showing as active, all from Microsoft. Two Visual Studio Tools for Office COM Add-ins and one Smart Tag "Person Name" add in. I ran Word as admin so I could disable both of the COM Add-ins. I renamed the FNAME.DLL file so the "Person Name" Add-in would not load because the Word GUI had all Smart Tag options dimmed and wouldn't let me uncheck that Add-in from the UI. I restarted Win, launched Word, and it showed no Active Application or Document Related Add-ins. No luck, mouse problem still present with all Add-ins removed.

  • Confirmed that creating a New User account made the problem go away when using Word while logged in under the new user (the test user was an Administrator).  This was mentioned that it would work by john_bago below but I did not bother to migrate all data and settings over to the new user because once security updates are installed again the new user account may inherit this issue too.  Exported all registry values under the "Word" tree at  "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word" while logged in with the new working user account.  Deleted the  "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word" tree while logged in under the "broken" user and imported the whole tree into the registry from the working account to replace all Word settings and values.  This did not fix the problem.

Bad Workaround:

  • The only way I have found to USUALLY get the mouse to behave as expected and eliminate the problems described here is to force Word to "Run this program as administrator”.  I opened the properties of the "Microsoft Office Word 2007" shortcut in the start menu, chose Compatibility tab, and chose that option under privilege level. Without running Word as administrator I have been unable to eliminate these mouse problems.
  • Once you force Word to Run as admin, you now get the annoying warning prompt from Windows that asks you if it is okay to run as admin every time you start Word.  This would be an almost tolerable workaround if all you ever did was create brand new Word documents. If you want to work on an existing Word document this solution isn't a good one, here is why:

1) If you want to open an existing Word document from either the Windows 7 recent jump list menu or by double-clicking a Word doc file, the delay caused by the UAC prompt every time you start Word generates an error of, "There was a problem sending the command to the program.", and the document you wanted to open is not loaded into Word. You get the Word shell launched with no document.  The only way to open an existing document while running as admin and getting the UAC prompt is to launch Word with no document or a new blank document and then manually open the existing document you really wanted via the Word menus.

2) As a temporary option I tried to disable User Account Control (UAC) completely by telling it to NEVER notify me about anything. You would think that this would allow you to run Word as admin without the delay caused by the UAC prompt and then Word would open existing documents from the taskbar or by double-clicking as desired. I did the required restart after disabling UAC and confirmed that Word was still set to "run as admin". To my surprise, when UAC is totally disabled and no longer prompts you for permission each time you launch Word, the "run as admin" trick STOPS working. The existing documents now load from the taskbar or by double-clicking as desired because the UAC prompt delay is gone BUT the mouse problems come back!

3) I have no idea why "run as admin" ONLY works if UAC prompts you for permission first and does NOT work if you tell it not to prompt you but that is what is happening on my system. I am still looking for a better solution.

**Update to the "Bad Workaround" section:  I experience the EXACT same behavior if I do NOT "run as admin" but instead tell the shortcut to Word to run in "Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode".  Everything described above acts the same if I use either "run as admin" or "act like XP", this method ALSO required UAC to prompt me in order for it to work.  If I tell UAC to not prompt me then the XP mode fails just like run as admin did.  I am not sure what "run as admin" and "XP compat" have in common when running with UAC turned on but using either method results in the mouse working.

Anyone have any ideas?

System Info:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, RTM Version 6.1.7600

ThinkPad T61p (Lenovo) Laptop, 4GB RAM

Word 2007 (12.0.6504.5000) SP2 MSO (12.0.6425.1000) Part of Office Ultimate 2007.

Patched with all recommended updates for Windows/Office through Windows/Microsoft Update as of this post date.

Latest nVidia Video Driver for Windows 7 64-bit installed (v8.16.11.8694), that version is in Windows Update and on Lenovo site.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-06T05:15:40+00:00

Thanks to Reyami for pointing to the Lenovo site.

The problem is caused by a bug in the Password Manager program that is included in the Lenovo Client Security Solution application (version 8.30.0031.00).

It did seem like a lot of people were mentioning Lenovo.

To summarize the acceptable workaround (IMO) to this issue so you don't have to look for it at Lenovo:

Click the Start Button

Type:

password vault

In the search box above the start button

Click "Password Vault" that shows up under Control Panel in the Start Menu

Click "Set Preferences" in the menu

Under the General tab, uncheck "Enable hot keys"

Click OK

Close Password Vault.

Log off (or reboot) and log back in.

The problem with the mouse in Word and Outlook with Word as the email editor should be resolved.

Look for an update to the Client Security Solution application from Lenovo in the future if you would like to use hot keys.

Thanks again.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-11-01T00:46:03+00:00

    hmmm... I'm running Word 2007 (32 bit) on Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) with no problems. After re-installing did you remember to apply the service pacs. (Click the Word "ball" in the upper left, click Options on the bottom and scroll down to Resources and see if it states SP2. If not scroll up to "Check for updates". Hopefully that will solve the problem. One other thought, do you have the most recent video driver installed from your video card manufacturer?

    If all else fails you might run the Microsoft Office Diagnostics wizard (also in Ball | Options | Resources). Maybe that will fix it or at least  give you a clue to the problem.

    good luck

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-11-01T07:53:28+00:00

    I have the same problem.  I am running Windows 7.

    The problem occurs (100% repeatable) right after I clicked the first "enter" a newly-opened word document.

    Same problem happens in Outlook email editor/browser.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-11-01T15:08:03+00:00

    jyjyang:  What type of machine do you have?  What type of video card?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-11-01T16:07:02+00:00

    I have experienced the same things, but I also noticed the following:

    1. If you uninstall and reinstall Office 2007, then everything will work as expected.  UNTIL, Windows Update downloads and installs one of the security updates for Office 2007; then the mouse stops working AGAIN.
    2. If you create a new user account after all of the updates have been applied, then everything works as expected.  UNTIL, you install or reconfigure something that triggers one of the Office 2007 security updates.
    3. If I uninstall and reinstall BlueTooth, I can get Word and Outlook to function properly, UNTIL something else triggers one of those security updates. 
    4. If I uninstall the Office 2007 security updates, then everything works as expected.  BUT you have to PREVENT them from being installed.  I have not gone through them one at a time to figure out which one(s) is (are) the problem(s), but when it breaks again, I'll start that process.

    I have tried everything that has been said in all of the posts.  I thought that I had found a workaround when I created the new user account.  For the longest time I couldn't get it to fail.  But then I synced my smart phone via BlueTooth and then the mouse stopped working again.  Then I uninstalled and reinstalled BlueTooth and everything functioned as expected again.  By the way, reinstalling BlueTooth worked even when the security updates were applied. 

    If running the apps as administrator gets the mouse to work correctly (albeit not the best solution), then why would running the apps as administrator with UAC turned off cause the workaround to fail?  Theoretically, it makes the workaround easier to use: 

    1. no popup when running as admin, 2) jump lists work, and 3) opening any file outside of the app works.  How does this combination trigger the security issue?  If anything, shouldn't it be less likely to occur. 

    I have been able to been to get the run as admin with UAC turned off to work by either 1) removing the security updates or 2) reinstalling BlueTooth, however these solutions also allowed me to make it work without running as admin with UAC turned on. 

    I called Microsoft yesterday for support and was told that this problem does not exist on Windows 7.  They insisted that I was running Vista.  No comment. 

    The problem is definitely triggered by one of the security updates.  I conveyed this to Microsoft, but they couldn't get past the Vista/Windows 7 thing.  Hopefully they will take a closer look and fix it permanently.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments