Opening old Power Point files

Anonymous
2010-02-04T02:28:59+00:00

I have a large number of Power Point files that were created in 1995, 1996, 1997, and later using then current versions of Power Point (3.0 and earlier versions I think they were ... and since these were federal governement computers the operating system was probably whatever was before Windows 95).  I upgraded to Windows Vista 64 anad a new computer in August 2009, with Office 2007 and recently needed to open a Power Point presentation from 1997 and use it the historical data in a new presentation.  My computer wouldn't open the file and said that my current Power Point doesn't support earlier versions.  I then tried to open the 1997 file one of my other computers that has Windows XP and Office 2003.  The file wouldn't open on that computer either giving a similar message.  I also have an antique computer with Windows 98 that isn't very reliable, some of these old Power Point files can open on that computer with a little animation of pages flying through the air saying it is updating from an older version of Power Point.  I have hundreds of old Power Point files and some of them still have relevant historical information that I need to use occasionally without having to remember the details of what I put on them then.  How can I open these old Power Point files on my new computer?

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-04T05:27:31+00:00

I have a large number of Power Point files that were created in 1995, 1996, 1997, and later using then current versions of Power Point (3.0 and earlier versions I think they were ... and since these were federal governement computers the operating system was probably whatever was before Windows 95).  I upgraded to Windows Vista 64 anad a new computer in August 2009, with Office 2007 and recently needed to open a Power Point presentation from 1997 and use it the historical data in a new presentation.  My computer wouldn't open the file and said that my current Power Point doesn't support earlier versions.  I then tried to open the 1997 file one of my other computers that has Windows XP and Office 2003.  The file wouldn't open on that computer either giving a similar message.  I also have an antique computer with Windows 98 that isn't very reliable, some of these old Power Point files can open on that computer with a little animation of pages flying through the air saying it is updating from an older version of Power Point.  I have hundreds of old Power Point files and some of them still have relevant historical information that I need to use occasionally without having to remember the details of what I put on them then.  How can I open these old Power Point files on my new computer?

Hi

I'm afraid 2007 won't open really old files (saved in '97 format or earlier I believe) but 2003 might. If 2003 won't, you need to find a computer running an older version and try again... There may be some 'issues' (particularly with animations from pre XP/2002) but at least you'll have a starting point. Once you have found a computer that will open the files this should help:

Batch re-save presentations; update older presentations to newer PowerPoint version

http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00740.htm

I advise you to update all the files when you find the equipment to do so :-)

Lucy


Lucy Thomson

PowerPoint MVP

an easier tomorrow

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-09-12T04:21:45+00:00

    I have a similar problem as the original poster and I see a bigger problem. While the so called MVP's who are answering may be well-intentioned and answering the questions to the best of their ability, why isn't a Microsoft employee here to step in cases where the lay users (however experienced they may be) no longer can help. MS should be able to categorically state their position. The folks answering here are in my opinion no different from someone on any other public forum. There is no point trying to abuse them. However, it is also true that they have no official standing.

    Finally, it is really silly to argue that archaic code is required to read a document that is in some format. That responder likely confuses the document format with the program that generates or reads it. They are not the same. It should be trivial for MS to create a conversion tool, and that is their biggest lacuna.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-03-05T17:59:19+00:00

    But to your current problem with the older files ... this does come up from time to time, usually in cases like yours where a lot of files are involved.  If someone were to set up a service converting old files to newer formats, would it be something you might consider using? 

     

    This is exactly what I'm looking for. Does something like this exist? If skydrive.live.com could open and convert this old files, that would be perfect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-03-05T18:04:34+00:00

    Yep, and the link to Zamzar is in the link page I posted earlier plus a quick tutorial

    Zamzar can't open my file :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-03-05T20:01:56+00:00

    Probably means it really is corrupt or maybe a very very old version (pre 95)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments