Opening old Power Point files

Anonymous
2010-02-04T02:28:59+00:00

I have a large number of Power Point files that were created in 1995, 1996, 1997, and later using then current versions of Power Point (3.0 and earlier versions I think they were ... and since these were federal governement computers the operating system was probably whatever was before Windows 95).  I upgraded to Windows Vista 64 anad a new computer in August 2009, with Office 2007 and recently needed to open a Power Point presentation from 1997 and use it the historical data in a new presentation.  My computer wouldn't open the file and said that my current Power Point doesn't support earlier versions.  I then tried to open the 1997 file one of my other computers that has Windows XP and Office 2003.  The file wouldn't open on that computer either giving a similar message.  I also have an antique computer with Windows 98 that isn't very reliable, some of these old Power Point files can open on that computer with a little animation of pages flying through the air saying it is updating from an older version of Power Point.  I have hundreds of old Power Point files and some of them still have relevant historical information that I need to use occasionally without having to remember the details of what I put on them then.  How can I open these old Power Point files on my new computer?

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-04T05:27:31+00:00

I have a large number of Power Point files that were created in 1995, 1996, 1997, and later using then current versions of Power Point (3.0 and earlier versions I think they were ... and since these were federal governement computers the operating system was probably whatever was before Windows 95).  I upgraded to Windows Vista 64 anad a new computer in August 2009, with Office 2007 and recently needed to open a Power Point presentation from 1997 and use it the historical data in a new presentation.  My computer wouldn't open the file and said that my current Power Point doesn't support earlier versions.  I then tried to open the 1997 file one of my other computers that has Windows XP and Office 2003.  The file wouldn't open on that computer either giving a similar message.  I also have an antique computer with Windows 98 that isn't very reliable, some of these old Power Point files can open on that computer with a little animation of pages flying through the air saying it is updating from an older version of Power Point.  I have hundreds of old Power Point files and some of them still have relevant historical information that I need to use occasionally without having to remember the details of what I put on them then.  How can I open these old Power Point files on my new computer?

Hi

I'm afraid 2007 won't open really old files (saved in '97 format or earlier I believe) but 2003 might. If 2003 won't, you need to find a computer running an older version and try again... There may be some 'issues' (particularly with animations from pre XP/2002) but at least you'll have a starting point. Once you have found a computer that will open the files this should help:

Batch re-save presentations; update older presentations to newer PowerPoint version

http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00740.htm

I advise you to update all the files when you find the equipment to do so :-)

Lucy


Lucy Thomson

PowerPoint MVP

an easier tomorrow

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Steve Rindsberg 99,176 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-09-11T19:20:29+00:00

    >> This is complete twoddle and a cop out. 

    You may see it that way.  That's your privilege, of course.

    I'm just trying to explain why things are the way they are. 

    I'm not a MS employee, I didn't make the decision but I have had the opportunity to talk with some of the people who did, or at least who had to implement the decision after it was made. 

    In any case, insulting me isn't going to change anything.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-09-11T08:06:10+00:00

    And you don't think the archaic code is needed to open the file???????????

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-09-10T22:04:50+00:00

    This is complete twoddle and a cop out.  We are not asking for current versions of PowerPoint to include archaic code but simply to recognise the format an open the file (with new code if necessary).  It is not true that only a few people suffer from the problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Steve Rindsberg 99,176 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-09-10T14:50:25+00:00

    A little background.

    Microsoft has come under a lot of fire in the last few years for security holes in Windows, Office and some of their other software; they've expended a huge amount of resources on closing the security holes.

    While the legacy code may still exist, it could well be written in a programming language that's no longer in use internally and that none of the current crop of developers understands.  PPT was bought from another company; the legacy code probably isn't written to current standards of maintainability (for which read: nobody can figure out what's going on in there). 

    So the old code has known security problems, is likely unintelligible if the source is still available at all, and would probably need to be thrown out and rewritten from scratch. 

    Given a choice between spending the resources that would cost on fixing a problem that affects very few customers vs spending them on improving current versions and/or adding new features that'd encourage people to spend money on upgrades, which would you choose?  Which would management and the stockholders want you to choose? 

    And we know the answer. ;-)

    But to your current problem with the older files ... this does come up from time to time, usually in cases like yours where a lot of files are involved.  If someone were to set up a service converting old files to newer formats, would it be something you might consider using?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments