Opening old Power Point files

Anonymous
2010-02-04T02:28:59+00:00

I have a large number of Power Point files that were created in 1995, 1996, 1997, and later using then current versions of Power Point (3.0 and earlier versions I think they were ... and since these were federal governement computers the operating system was probably whatever was before Windows 95).  I upgraded to Windows Vista 64 anad a new computer in August 2009, with Office 2007 and recently needed to open a Power Point presentation from 1997 and use it the historical data in a new presentation.  My computer wouldn't open the file and said that my current Power Point doesn't support earlier versions.  I then tried to open the 1997 file one of my other computers that has Windows XP and Office 2003.  The file wouldn't open on that computer either giving a similar message.  I also have an antique computer with Windows 98 that isn't very reliable, some of these old Power Point files can open on that computer with a little animation of pages flying through the air saying it is updating from an older version of Power Point.  I have hundreds of old Power Point files and some of them still have relevant historical information that I need to use occasionally without having to remember the details of what I put on them then.  How can I open these old Power Point files on my new computer?

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-04T05:27:31+00:00

I have a large number of Power Point files that were created in 1995, 1996, 1997, and later using then current versions of Power Point (3.0 and earlier versions I think they were ... and since these were federal governement computers the operating system was probably whatever was before Windows 95).  I upgraded to Windows Vista 64 anad a new computer in August 2009, with Office 2007 and recently needed to open a Power Point presentation from 1997 and use it the historical data in a new presentation.  My computer wouldn't open the file and said that my current Power Point doesn't support earlier versions.  I then tried to open the 1997 file one of my other computers that has Windows XP and Office 2003.  The file wouldn't open on that computer either giving a similar message.  I also have an antique computer with Windows 98 that isn't very reliable, some of these old Power Point files can open on that computer with a little animation of pages flying through the air saying it is updating from an older version of Power Point.  I have hundreds of old Power Point files and some of them still have relevant historical information that I need to use occasionally without having to remember the details of what I put on them then.  How can I open these old Power Point files on my new computer?

Hi

I'm afraid 2007 won't open really old files (saved in '97 format or earlier I believe) but 2003 might. If 2003 won't, you need to find a computer running an older version and try again... There may be some 'issues' (particularly with animations from pre XP/2002) but at least you'll have a starting point. Once you have found a computer that will open the files this should help:

Batch re-save presentations; update older presentations to newer PowerPoint version

http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00740.htm

I advise you to update all the files when you find the equipment to do so :-)

Lucy


Lucy Thomson

PowerPoint MVP

an easier tomorrow

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-30T12:03:08+00:00

    I've said this several times in this post already but some folk don't listen.

    Lucy and Steve & I are MVPs ( awarded as Most Valuable Professional by MSFT) WE DO NOT work for MSFT. and we can't tell them what to do (Actually we do but they might not listen)

    However consider there are supposed to be half a billion PowerPoint users worldwide and only 30 have been awarded MVP status. This means they probably know what they are talking about but not that they can (easily) influence MSFT. They certainly do not have the file spec for old formats and Lucy is a designer not a programmer.

    If you need to get files updated there are still ways you can do this and the easiest is ZamZar (Google for it) It's FREE.

    Upload the old file and choose PowerPoint 97-2003 as the output. If the file is not corrupt (and files this old might be) then Zamzar can convert files even older than 95.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-30T09:56:11+00:00

    I'm afraid 2007 won't open really old files (saved in '97 format or earlier I believe) but 2003 might. If 2003 won't, you need to find a computer running an older version and try again...

    I advise you to update all the files when you find the equipment to do so :-)

    Possible it's humorous for you, but it's a tragedy for the users. You smile about the users, who lost their previous works?

    Please warn the present useres, that they work only for today, tomorrow their files will be unusable!

    You have the specification of older formats. You have the specification of newer formats. For you it's a managable task to write an conversion program. Free for the loyal users, who are using Microsoft product for twenty years, buying at least two times the powerpoint. I can accept, that I have to buy the Powerpoint in every five year, but I can't accept, that I have to write all of my document every five (or ten) years.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Steve Rindsberg 99,176 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-03-06T16:50:20+00:00

    Other than zamzar, I don't know that there's anything like this.  

    I doubt skydrive could do it because it's probably based on the same code as current versions of PowerPoint itself.

    I've toyed with the idea of setting up a service like this but there doesn't seem to be much interest in it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments