Opening old Power Point files

Anonymous
2010-02-04T02:28:59+00:00

I have a large number of Power Point files that were created in 1995, 1996, 1997, and later using then current versions of Power Point (3.0 and earlier versions I think they were ... and since these were federal governement computers the operating system was probably whatever was before Windows 95).  I upgraded to Windows Vista 64 anad a new computer in August 2009, with Office 2007 and recently needed to open a Power Point presentation from 1997 and use it the historical data in a new presentation.  My computer wouldn't open the file and said that my current Power Point doesn't support earlier versions.  I then tried to open the 1997 file one of my other computers that has Windows XP and Office 2003.  The file wouldn't open on that computer either giving a similar message.  I also have an antique computer with Windows 98 that isn't very reliable, some of these old Power Point files can open on that computer with a little animation of pages flying through the air saying it is updating from an older version of Power Point.  I have hundreds of old Power Point files and some of them still have relevant historical information that I need to use occasionally without having to remember the details of what I put on them then.  How can I open these old Power Point files on my new computer?

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-04T05:27:31+00:00

I have a large number of Power Point files that were created in 1995, 1996, 1997, and later using then current versions of Power Point (3.0 and earlier versions I think they were ... and since these were federal governement computers the operating system was probably whatever was before Windows 95).  I upgraded to Windows Vista 64 anad a new computer in August 2009, with Office 2007 and recently needed to open a Power Point presentation from 1997 and use it the historical data in a new presentation.  My computer wouldn't open the file and said that my current Power Point doesn't support earlier versions.  I then tried to open the 1997 file one of my other computers that has Windows XP and Office 2003.  The file wouldn't open on that computer either giving a similar message.  I also have an antique computer with Windows 98 that isn't very reliable, some of these old Power Point files can open on that computer with a little animation of pages flying through the air saying it is updating from an older version of Power Point.  I have hundreds of old Power Point files and some of them still have relevant historical information that I need to use occasionally without having to remember the details of what I put on them then.  How can I open these old Power Point files on my new computer?

Hi

I'm afraid 2007 won't open really old files (saved in '97 format or earlier I believe) but 2003 might. If 2003 won't, you need to find a computer running an older version and try again... There may be some 'issues' (particularly with animations from pre XP/2002) but at least you'll have a starting point. Once you have found a computer that will open the files this should help:

Batch re-save presentations; update older presentations to newer PowerPoint version

http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00740.htm

I advise you to update all the files when you find the equipment to do so :-)

Lucy


Lucy Thomson

PowerPoint MVP

an easier tomorrow

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-07-23T06:38:26+00:00

    John,

    I see, now I have to pay a fee per month for someone else to decode my old PPT's.  This is even worse than Lucys idea.

    I don't know who works at MS or not but I still sy:

    Shame on MS and BG.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-07-23T06:33:34+00:00

    I still think this is a lousey answer.  All of MS assets and you guys can't come up with a downloadable tool to create a VBS macro?  You send me out on some PPTOOLS site to download VBS code and figure out how to install it??? I am really sick of BG and Friends forcing us to upgrade for hundreds of dollars every 12-18 months just so you can obsolete one's files.  I might as well go to libre office or open office for a free version of MS office that allows me to do what I need withou the money and hassel of MS office.

    Shame on you all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-07-08T23:52:36+00:00

    Thanks John :-)

    I miss the old newsgroup - it had a much pleasanter atmosphere :-(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-07-06T14:25:23+00:00

    You are abusing the wrong people!

    Lucy doesn't work for Microsoft she just spends her time (given freely) answering peoples questions (I don't see you doing that BTW) She has no control over Microsoft's policy and her answer is just saying "How it is" so how is that silly?.Steve provides the code to convert large batches free too! (But you will need a PPt version prior to 2007.)

    We provide aone off method here that doesn't need another PC but it will be slow for lots of 95 PPTs. 2007 should open 97 format BTW just not 95. We will even batch convert files for you (Not free, and I can already hear you saying "I paid for 2007 /10 already why should I ....)

    Even Bill doesn't work at Microsoft now!

    It might be nice to offer a converter for software that is 15+ years old but they don't. Lucy can't change that, I can't and my guess is posts like yours wont either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments