Opening old Power Point files

Anonymous
2010-02-04T02:28:59+00:00

I have a large number of Power Point files that were created in 1995, 1996, 1997, and later using then current versions of Power Point (3.0 and earlier versions I think they were ... and since these were federal governement computers the operating system was probably whatever was before Windows 95).  I upgraded to Windows Vista 64 anad a new computer in August 2009, with Office 2007 and recently needed to open a Power Point presentation from 1997 and use it the historical data in a new presentation.  My computer wouldn't open the file and said that my current Power Point doesn't support earlier versions.  I then tried to open the 1997 file one of my other computers that has Windows XP and Office 2003.  The file wouldn't open on that computer either giving a similar message.  I also have an antique computer with Windows 98 that isn't very reliable, some of these old Power Point files can open on that computer with a little animation of pages flying through the air saying it is updating from an older version of Power Point.  I have hundreds of old Power Point files and some of them still have relevant historical information that I need to use occasionally without having to remember the details of what I put on them then.  How can I open these old Power Point files on my new computer?

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-04T05:27:31+00:00

I have a large number of Power Point files that were created in 1995, 1996, 1997, and later using then current versions of Power Point (3.0 and earlier versions I think they were ... and since these were federal governement computers the operating system was probably whatever was before Windows 95).  I upgraded to Windows Vista 64 anad a new computer in August 2009, with Office 2007 and recently needed to open a Power Point presentation from 1997 and use it the historical data in a new presentation.  My computer wouldn't open the file and said that my current Power Point doesn't support earlier versions.  I then tried to open the 1997 file one of my other computers that has Windows XP and Office 2003.  The file wouldn't open on that computer either giving a similar message.  I also have an antique computer with Windows 98 that isn't very reliable, some of these old Power Point files can open on that computer with a little animation of pages flying through the air saying it is updating from an older version of Power Point.  I have hundreds of old Power Point files and some of them still have relevant historical information that I need to use occasionally without having to remember the details of what I put on them then.  How can I open these old Power Point files on my new computer?

Hi

I'm afraid 2007 won't open really old files (saved in '97 format or earlier I believe) but 2003 might. If 2003 won't, you need to find a computer running an older version and try again... There may be some 'issues' (particularly with animations from pre XP/2002) but at least you'll have a starting point. Once you have found a computer that will open the files this should help:

Batch re-save presentations; update older presentations to newer PowerPoint version

http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00740.htm

I advise you to update all the files when you find the equipment to do so :-)

Lucy


Lucy Thomson

PowerPoint MVP

an easier tomorrow

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-07-06T13:30:33+00:00

    I have a large number of Power Point files that were created in 1995, 1996, 1997, and later using then current versions of Power Point (3.0 and earlier versions I think they were ... and since these were federal governement computers the operating system was probably whatever was before Windows 95).  I upgraded to Windows Vista 64 anad a new computer in August 2009, with Office 2007 and recently needed to open a Power Point presentation from 1997 and use it the historical data in a new presentation.  My computer wouldn't open the file and said that my current Power Point doesn't support earlier versions.  I then tried to open the 1997 file one of my other computers that has Windows XP and Office 2003.  The file wouldn't open on that computer either giving a similar message.  I also have an antique computer with Windows 98 that isn't very reliable, some of these old Power Point files can open on that computer with a little animation of pages flying through the air saying it is updating from an older version of Power Point.  I have hundreds of old Power Point files and some of them still have relevant historical information that I need to use occasionally without having to remember the details of what I put on them then.  How can I open these old Power Point files on my new computer?

    Hi

    I'm afraid 2007 won't open really old files (saved in '97 format or earlier I believe) but 2003 might. If 2003 won't, you need to find a computer running an older version and try again... There may be some 'issues' (particularly with animations from pre XP/2002) but at least you'll have a starting point. Once you have found a computer that will open the files this should help:

    Batch re-save presentations; update older presentations to newer PowerPoint version

    http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00740.htm

    I advise you to update all the files when you find the equipment to do so :-)

    Lucy


    Lucy Thomson

    PowerPoint MVP

    an easier tomorrow

    Lucy,

    This is the sillyist answer I have ever heard.  I have hundreds of old .ppt files that need to be converted, and your saying 'find a computer'.  I have a computer, and I am running Office 2007 and another running 2010 and you want me to "find a computer".  Well how about MS 'find a converter' for those of us that are (were) loyal MS customers who kept shelling out bucks for MS;s designed obsolecence in Office products, and now find that all of our expensive .ppt's are useless? 

    MS knows they can design code and produce a converter for 2007,10 to read these older .ppt's.  Just get one of Bill's $1billion and I am sure MS can figure this out without us having to "get a computer".

    PO'd in Las Vegas

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-09-11T20:18:53+00:00

    No just the archaic file format

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Steve Rindsberg 99,176 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-09-11T19:20:29+00:00

    >> This is complete twoddle and a cop out. 

    You may see it that way.  That's your privilege, of course.

    I'm just trying to explain why things are the way they are. 

    I'm not a MS employee, I didn't make the decision but I have had the opportunity to talk with some of the people who did, or at least who had to implement the decision after it was made. 

    In any case, insulting me isn't going to change anything.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-09-11T08:06:10+00:00

    And you don't think the archaic code is needed to open the file???????????

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments