page numbers not showing on slides

Anonymous
2010-02-04T18:16:13+00:00

the page numbers i try to place using footer and slide numbers boxes will not show.  background appears to be blocking it.

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-04T22:19:23+00:00

the page numbers i try to place using footer and slide numbers boxes will not show.  background appears to be blocking it.

Hi

Did you use Insert -> Header & Footer? Check to see if the page number placeholder is truned on on the Master - View -> Slide Master -> Slide Master tab -> Master Layout -> check 'Slide Number' is ticked. If it is and you still can't see it it may be behind another element on the slide master - select the 'mother' master (the big one at the top) then Home -> Select drop down -> Selection Pane -> select 'Slide Number Placeholder' -> click the re-order up button (at the bottom of the taskpane) until the slide number placeholder is at the top.

If none of that works, let us know exactly what you have tried and exactly what is happening. Also, if the file was created in a previous version or has been edited in a previous version.

Lucy


Lucy Thomson

PowerPoint MVP

an easier tomorrow

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-12-22T01:34:07+00:00

    Hi, none of the solutions worked for me - some page numbers were appearing and others were blocked by the slide layout, so I tried something else and strangely it worked.  First I deleted the page numbers using the Header & Footer icon.  Then I went to Home-Select-Select All, and inserted the page numbers using Header & Footer.  The page numbers appeared on all slides - not sure why but am happy it worked!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-09-28T00:59:33+00:00

    Did you follows Lucy';s suggestion to use INSERT >> Headers and footers >> Tick Slide Number and Apply to All??

    This helped me a lot !! I forgot to tick the slide number !!!!

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-10-15T15:00:52+00:00

    Firstly, thank you to everyone that has contributed answers. Unfortunately none of these things are working for me. A key point: When I click slide numbers in the headers and footers dialog box, they don't show up and when I go back, they're not checked anymore.

    I've been keeping the selection pane open and haven't seen them pop up in there either...Any more ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-10-18T15:20:58+00:00

    Under: slide master/insert/header&footer

    If I select: "don't show on title slide" then the slide number doesn't show up on any slides.

    I found this was because all of my slides were set up as "Title Slides"

    If I remember right, previous PP had "don't show on first slide"

    Now I have to figure out how to deal with Title vs Non-Title slides.

    For now I just covered up the number on the first slide.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments