In new Outlook, emails stay in the outbox even though they've been sent.

Anonymous
2024-06-24T14:54:26+00:00

In the new Outlook, when a user sends an email, it will go to the Outbox and stay there, but it still gets sent to the end user. I checked the original Outlook to see if it's in the outbox there, and it's not, nor is it anywhere else, it just seems to be the new Outlook. If I delete the email, it comes back within 5 seconds and it's started doing it sporadically for other emails. None of the emails that are doing it share anything in common, some have attachments, some do not, some are sent to multiple people, some are not. I can see no issues in the health centre either so I'm scratching my head a bit on this one.

Things I have done so far:

Opened/closed Outlook

Restarted PC

Ran Windows and Office Updates

Reinstalled Office

Tried a new mail profile

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-01T15:44:24+00:00

    Does sending also "stick" for you? Late or no delivery of emails?

    Smartest thing for me to do right now is use Google since it actually works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-08T15:29:41+00:00

    We have the same issue. I'll add a few more observations: Closing Outlook and Re-Opening Outlook resolves the issue until I send more e-mails. 2) Eventually they will be purged from the Outbox but that comes hours later. The e-mail has definitely been sent, since I get replies to it. They just sit in the Outbox marked as 'Queued'. Annoying. I can resolve it by closing Outlook and ReOpening. And that probably is the recommended resolution for Microsoft. But it's unacceptable for us.

    Frustrated..

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-08T17:12:16+00:00

    Just to post an update-

    We opened a ticket with our Microsoft vendor and they said that Microsoft is aware of this issue on the new Outlook client. We were told that we needed to wait for Microsoft to provide a fix or to switch back to the classic Outlook client.

    If you can't switch to the classic client, you can also use the web version of Outlook, as this is not an issue there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-09T02:00:18+00:00

    This might seem odd but after reading all the forums and trying everything else I simply moved the messages from the Outbox into the Deleted folder and this worked perfectly. Then I deleted from the deleted folder and now the Outbox is empty.

    I think there is a definite bug when using Drafts functionality whereby a Draft which is subsequently edited and sent then appears in the Outbox as Queued and never gets sent.

    The broken workflow is :

    Create email

    Save as Draft

    Move to Inbox to edit later

    Perform edits

    Send email

    Email gets sent (visible in Sent folder)

    Identical Email also stuck in Outbox and cannot be cleared except using the method above.

    Ive spent hours working this out and fixing it and the solution was so simple.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-07-09T13:04:02+00:00

    Thank you Peter. I owe you coffee! That worked for me. I had given up after trying all other suggested methods to clear a stuck email message I had for weeks in Outbox, but simply moving it to Deleted Items did the trick for me. Usually, what happened was after deleting it using all other methods, the message will reappear in Outbox after closing and reopening Outlook. However, with your suggestion, it has not returned after closing/reopening Outlook.

    For all it's worth, all other messages I had been sending for the past few weeks have been sent normally. It was only that one message that became stuck in Outbox, so I just moved that one message to Deleted Items and saw it was gone from Outbox. Then, I closed Outlook and reopened and it has not returned to Outbox. I will keep my fingers crossed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments