In new Outlook, emails stay in the outbox even though they've been sent.

Anonymous
2024-06-24T14:54:26+00:00

In the new Outlook, when a user sends an email, it will go to the Outbox and stay there, but it still gets sent to the end user. I checked the original Outlook to see if it's in the outbox there, and it's not, nor is it anywhere else, it just seems to be the new Outlook. If I delete the email, it comes back within 5 seconds and it's started doing it sporadically for other emails. None of the emails that are doing it share anything in common, some have attachments, some do not, some are sent to multiple people, some are not. I can see no issues in the health centre either so I'm scratching my head a bit on this one.

Things I have done so far:

Opened/closed Outlook

Restarted PC

Ran Windows and Office Updates

Reinstalled Office

Tried a new mail profile

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-16T21:49:37+00:00

    Any updates? This is annoying. All the money the company makes and net worth and they cant correct what is most likely a coding issue.

    Such a disgrace

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-10T14:32:20+00:00

    I'm unsure whether this is the same issue or a slightly different one. I've had a lot of trouble with mail merges in the new Outlook (bottom line, they just don't work). To solve, I opened old Outlook when doing a mail merge (with Word) and they appeared to work fine, with the sent emails showing up in my Sent Mail once I reopened new Outlook. Yesterday, I noticed a pile of emails from a mail merge I thought had gone out a week or so ago not showing up in my Sent Mail - when I search for them, they appear to be queued in my Outbox in new Outlook. If I search for them individually, I can't cause them to send but I can copy the contents and resend that way. But when I go to the Outbox, it says I have 355 emails queued there but there is not way I can find to actually view or affect them. Help?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-08-05T20:06:19+00:00

    Same issue for me. How are we supposed to know if the emails were sent as they are showing in both Sent and Outbox at the same time?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-01T23:29:09+00:00

    Same thing for me - I am relieved to realize that emails that I thought that I had sent but were stuck there were actually sent.

    At the same time, I am discouraged at the idea of that I may have sent them TWICE and looked like an idiot.

    I just discovered before finding this thread, however, that closing and reopening the New Outlook app does make those outbox entries disappear. I remain hesitant to assume that since those emails are only listed once in the Sent folder that they were indeed not sent twice (the second time when I restarted Outlook).

    I was really leaning in the direction of adopting the new Outlook as my daily email and calendar but this makes me think about reverting back. I have never been fond of MS's move to web-based apps and this doesn't do much to instill confidence.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-01T20:03:41+00:00

    Same issue as others. The only fix I've found is to close Outlook and restart. That seems to clear the Outbox of this phantom message.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments