In new Outlook, emails stay in the outbox even though they've been sent.

Anonymous
2024-06-24T14:54:26+00:00

In the new Outlook, when a user sends an email, it will go to the Outbox and stay there, but it still gets sent to the end user. I checked the original Outlook to see if it's in the outbox there, and it's not, nor is it anywhere else, it just seems to be the new Outlook. If I delete the email, it comes back within 5 seconds and it's started doing it sporadically for other emails. None of the emails that are doing it share anything in common, some have attachments, some do not, some are sent to multiple people, some are not. I can see no issues in the health centre either so I'm scratching my head a bit on this one.

Things I have done so far:

Opened/closed Outlook

Restarted PC

Ran Windows and Office Updates

Reinstalled Office

Tried a new mail profile

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-08T20:51:34+00:00

    Try doing this, after a good amount of time messing with it, this worked for me.

    There is a pencil and trash bin icon at the top right of the email. Click the pencil to "continue editing"

    You will then see the option to send the email, click send and it should send out immediately.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-16T15:33:49+00:00

    Of note, this worked for me - thank you!!

    The specific scenario which got the message stuck:

    • Opened an email that had another email on it as an attachment.
    • Opened the attached email
    • Tried to reply to that email (I know, not normally something done but in this scenario it made sense)
    • Sent the reply, and it got stuck in that folder as, "queued"

    I do think in reading this that there are other scenarios where message get stuck in the Outbox.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-11-18T04:13:56+00:00

    You must be one of the lucky ones.

    Since tried to get through on Live Chat to sort it out. Started in the queue as the 16th person at 1649pm, i said the average wait time was 16 minutes. I watched the queue go down till I was next in line. Waited over half and hour and finally gave up waiting at 1730.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-18T04:01:02+00:00

    I haven’t had any issues for while now. I didn’t do anything it just went away after maybe a month.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-11-18T03:30:44+00:00

    Didn't work for me. I've now tried everything in the thread

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments