In new Outlook, emails stay in the outbox even though they've been sent.

Anonymous
2024-06-24T14:54:26+00:00

In the new Outlook, when a user sends an email, it will go to the Outbox and stay there, but it still gets sent to the end user. I checked the original Outlook to see if it's in the outbox there, and it's not, nor is it anywhere else, it just seems to be the new Outlook. If I delete the email, it comes back within 5 seconds and it's started doing it sporadically for other emails. None of the emails that are doing it share anything in common, some have attachments, some do not, some are sent to multiple people, some are not. I can see no issues in the health centre either so I'm scratching my head a bit on this one.

Things I have done so far:

Opened/closed Outlook

Restarted PC

Ran Windows and Office Updates

Reinstalled Office

Tried a new mail profile

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-09T02:00:18+00:00

    This might seem odd but after reading all the forums and trying everything else I simply moved the messages from the Outbox into the Deleted folder and this worked perfectly. Then I deleted from the deleted folder and now the Outbox is empty.

    I think there is a definite bug when using Drafts functionality whereby a Draft which is subsequently edited and sent then appears in the Outbox as Queued and never gets sent.

    The broken workflow is :

    Create email

    Save as Draft

    Move to Inbox to edit later

    Perform edits

    Send email

    Email gets sent (visible in Sent folder)

    Identical Email also stuck in Outbox and cannot be cleared except using the method above.

    Ive spent hours working this out and fixing it and the solution was so simple.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-28T09:09:18+00:00

    The account uses Exchange. I tried what you said as one of the emails stuck was addressed to myself, it sent the email again but didn't clear it unfortunately. I guess we just wait for the bug to be fixed?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-27T16:25:45+00:00

    The Outlook Team has a bug for this, and they are working on addressing this scenario.

    Is the account you are using Exchange or IMAP or other?

    You mentioned that the email got sent successfully. If you go to the one in the Inbox and click Send again does that cause it to clear? I know not good to send the same email again and annoy the recipient.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-27T15:42:03+00:00

    I have the same issue with one message in the Outbox even through it was already sent. The recommended steps to reset Outlook and clear the cache did not solve the problem. Waiting for a resolution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-06-26T14:37:09+00:00

    It also didn't work for me. I raised a case instead and they said to disable the viva insight add-in for Outlook. I haven't been able to test it yet but if you want to try, they said to open viva insight (easiest to open through teams for me), then press the 3 dots in the top right corner and go to settings > privacy > disable 'Insights Outlook Add-in'.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments