Outlook window on Mac will not let me "shrink" or re-size horizontally (can't make window less wide)

Anonymous
2024-06-13T14:43:58+00:00

Hello, I am not sure what caused this change recently, but suddenly I cannot adjust the size of my Outlook email window on my Apple MacBook Pro screen. For example, I like to have Outlook and Teams open at the same time, and usually shrink them both so they are half width and I can have them side by side. Now, I can longer make the Outlook window slimmer from the left or right. It can only stay full screen width. I can make it shorter from the bottom, still. But that is not what I want. Does anyone know why this suddenly changed, or how to fix it? I have done all the things like quit the app and reload, and restart my whole computer. Thank you.

Outlook | MacOS | New Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-24T21:55:54+00:00

    I am having the same issue since yesterday. Switching to legacy Outlook did not work for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-25T00:34:40+00:00

    Hello JanickB70,

    I did not stay in Legacy mode, I switched straight back to the latest version that I was on before I switched to Legacy. This then sorted my issue with the resizing - only MS will know why that fixes the issue. I was just glad to have it working again! ;-)

    So here were the steps I took...

    1. I was running the latest Outlook and for no reason at all, it would no longer resize small enough to fit on my Portrait monitor - it was fine before.
    2. I switched to Legacy mode.
    3. I then switched straight back to the new version (that I was using before I switched to Legacy)
    4. The problem was now solved, I could fit it back on my Portrait window like before.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-25T12:47:39+00:00

    I'm also having this issue on my mac. I haven't changed any resolution settings, and don't feel I should need to adjust them now. The outlook window will not allow me to resize, but swithing to calendar allows resizing. When I go back to mail, the window expands again. It's taking up way too much space and this started maybe a week or so ago.

    I did the switching to legacy and switch back, it worked for a bit. It started doing the same thing in less than an hour. This isn't a fix...it's a bandaid.

    Why does the calendar view allow resizing, but the mail view does not?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-25T13:05:40+00:00

    The program is preventing resize, not the machine. All other programs can resize correctly. Is this the result of a recent update?

    This will result in me leaving the window minimized pretty much permanently. I can no longer afford the screen real estate to keep it open.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-06-26T04:06:54+00:00

    See the fix - go to Legacy mode then straight back again. It fixes the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments