Outlook window on Mac will not let me "shrink" or re-size horizontally (can't make window less wide)

Anonymous
2024-06-13T14:43:58+00:00

Hello, I am not sure what caused this change recently, but suddenly I cannot adjust the size of my Outlook email window on my Apple MacBook Pro screen. For example, I like to have Outlook and Teams open at the same time, and usually shrink them both so they are half width and I can have them side by side. Now, I can longer make the Outlook window slimmer from the left or right. It can only stay full screen width. I can make it shorter from the bottom, still. But that is not what I want. Does anyone know why this suddenly changed, or how to fix it? I have done all the things like quit the app and reload, and restart my whole computer. Thank you.

Outlook | MacOS | New Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-13T16:44:18+00:00

    Hello AmyNbl,

    Thank you for reaching out to Microsoft Community. I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble resizing your Outlook window on your Mac. This issue may be caused by a few different things, but there are a few steps you can take to try and resolve it.

    1. Screen resolution: Try checking your display settings to make sure that your screen resolution is set to the recommended setting for your Mac. You can do this by going to the Apple menu, selecting "System Preferences," and then clicking on "Displays." Make sure that the "Scaled" option is selected, and that the recommended resolution is chosen.
    2. Use macOS Split View: If Outlook is not allowing manual resizing, you can use the macOS Split View feature to have Outlook and Teams side by side. To enter Split View, hold down the 'full-screen' button in the upper-left corner of a window, then choose which side of the screen you want it on.
    3. Check Accessibility Settings: Go to System Preferences > Accessibility and ensure that no settings are interfering with window resizing.
    4. Safe Mode: Try opening your Mac in Safe Mode (hold down the Shift key during boot) and see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem is caused by something in your regular startup items.

    We believe that these steps will help resolve the issue. However, if you continue to experience difficulties, please provide additional details:

    • Could you please confirm, which version of Teams you are utilizing, whether it is New Teams for Mac or Classic Teams for Mac?
    • Which version of Teams you are utilizing, whether it is New Outlook for Mac or Classic Outlook for Mac?
    • Share your Outlook version and product details: Outlook> About Outlook.
      • Take a screenshot of the entire page (excluding personal information) and share it with us.

    Reference: What version of Outlook do I have?

    • Share your Outlook version and product details: For New Teams: Navigate to Settings > About Teams.
      • Take a screenshot of the entire page (excluding personal information) and share it with us.

    This information will assist me in understanding the issue better and help me find a solution.

    Thank you in advance for your understanding. Your patience and cooperation will be greatly appreciated. Wishing you all the best!

    Sincerely  

    Feroz Mahmud | Microsoft Community Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-13T19:58:23+00:00

    This started with no actions on my part. I have seen this behavior in the windows from time to time and it just goes away eventually. Outlook only, window will not reduce in Horizontal, and only an inch or two in the Vertical direction.

    MacBook Pro M1 13"

    Outlook version 16.8 (24060916)

    Teams Version 24137.2012.2930.9819 (24137.2012.2930.9819)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-17T15:53:51+00:00

    I'm also having this issue. I didn't make any changes to outlook. I accidentally put it into fullscreen mode, and when it came back out, I could not resize it to take up less than 3/4 of the width of my screen. I've tried quitting and restarting, and resizing the various panes within the window in between attempts to resize the window itself. This is only happening with Outlook, not Teams or any other app.

    Microsoft Outlook for Mac

    Version 16.86.1 (24061443)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-17T16:01:40+00:00

    I have switched back to Legacy Mode and the problem has gone away.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-06-17T16:11:29+00:00

    Hello Feroz, thank you for your help! The second option your provided (to enter macOS split screen view) worked / gave a solution that makes me happy, but unfortunately none of the other options you provided solved the initial issues of not being able to resize the window still. I am content using the split screen view (which I did not know was a possibility!), but it's still odd that I can't resize the window manually, if I wanted to. My screen resolution settings have not changed are the same as they always were, and I don't see any accessibility setting issues. I am not sure what Safe Mode is so I do not want to try this...

    To answer your questions:

    • I am using the new version of Outlook, not legacy. This issue is for the Outlook app only, NOT the Teams app. But I am using the new version of Teams, too, if you need that information.
    • I have attached a screenshot below of my Outlook product details.

    Thank you!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments