Outlook window on Mac will not let me "shrink" or re-size horizontally (can't make window less wide)

Anonymous
2024-06-13T14:43:58+00:00

Hello, I am not sure what caused this change recently, but suddenly I cannot adjust the size of my Outlook email window on my Apple MacBook Pro screen. For example, I like to have Outlook and Teams open at the same time, and usually shrink them both so they are half width and I can have them side by side. Now, I can longer make the Outlook window slimmer from the left or right. It can only stay full screen width. I can make it shorter from the bottom, still. But that is not what I want. Does anyone know why this suddenly changed, or how to fix it? I have done all the things like quit the app and reload, and restart my whole computer. Thank you.

Outlook | MacOS | New Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-01T11:53:08+00:00

    Solution: Switch to legacy mode and straight back again and the issue should resolve itself. I also noted that clicking the TaskPane causes the issue in the first place. Definitely a change that MS introduced as it wasn't an issue before and the fact that so many people are reporting it smacks of a bug introduced along the way. It is NOTHING to do with the resolution of the screen or accessibility or anything else. MS need to work this issue out for its users and not waste their time suggesting we are all idiots.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-26T17:04:43+00:00

    Yes this worked! For those that need to know how, on the toolbar in Outlook, Click on the three dots. It opens a dialog box. At bottom is button to "reset" tool bar. Click it. Click Done. I am now able to drag the outlook box down to half screen like before. No more switching to legacy and out to do this. Geez why can't MS help offer this help. Thanks for the tip!!

    Another tip I just saw was in that same tool bar dialog box, at the bottom is an option for "Show Labels" mine was defaulting to "Show Labels Always". I changed it to "Show labels as Space permits". Clicked Done . Shrunk box even more and the icons "hide" as I shrink, and come back as enlarge. Unbelievable that these are not additional steps that MS Help offers community!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-26T14:06:27+00:00

    I found that the horizontal width was being set by the amount of items in the Toolbar. By using the ellipsis (...) > Customize Toolbar... and removing about three items the application width could then be minimized further. Thus I would recommend removing any and all items from your Toolbar that are not essential to your workflow.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-06-26T12:51:33+00:00

    This was driving me crazy. Remove as many buttons from your Toolbar as you can and only keep the key ones you use ie, Delete, Reply, Reply All, Forward ect. The window will minimise to the end of the last button on toolbar.

    It worked for me hope it works for you!

    Thank you Donna, this helped me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments