Outlook window on Mac will not let me "shrink" or re-size horizontally (can't make window less wide)

Anonymous
2024-06-13T14:43:58+00:00

Hello, I am not sure what caused this change recently, but suddenly I cannot adjust the size of my Outlook email window on my Apple MacBook Pro screen. For example, I like to have Outlook and Teams open at the same time, and usually shrink them both so they are half width and I can have them side by side. Now, I can longer make the Outlook window slimmer from the left or right. It can only stay full screen width. I can make it shorter from the bottom, still. But that is not what I want. Does anyone know why this suddenly changed, or how to fix it? I have done all the things like quit the app and reload, and restart my whole computer. Thank you.

Outlook | MacOS | New Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-20T16:20:21+00:00

    My IT found a solution. Reset your outlook toolbar. This worked for me. Hope it works for you guys also.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-20T12:10:30+00:00

    I started experiencing the same problem yesterday on my 2024 16" MacBook Pro and on my Mac Studio. I asked my wife to check out the issue on her 2021 13" MacBook Pro and she's having the same issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-19T23:22:57+00:00

    Switching to legacy allowed me to size down, and then the smaller window size was retained when I switched back off legacy. I tested if I would be able to resize properly after switching on/off legacy, and the bug persists—I still can't get Outlook to a smaller width, only wider. It's good to know that there's a workaround, but it's a poor workaround that requires making settings changes and restarting the app twice... especially since my Outlook has spontaneously resized to the larger window multiple times, requiring me to do the workaround multiple times.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-17T16:13:49+00:00

    Yes this is exactly my issue! The quick fix from the Microsoft person to "Use macOS Split View: If Outlook is not allowing manual resizing, you can use the macOS Split View feature to have Outlook and Teams side by side. To enter Split View, hold down the 'full-screen' button in the upper-left corner of a window, then choose which side of the screen you want it on." solved my issue enough to make me happy again being able to have a split screen, but none of the other solutions fixed the actual issue of not being able to resize the screen manually if I want to. See the response above, maybe those other solutions will help you? Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-06-17T16:11:29+00:00

    Hello Feroz, thank you for your help! The second option your provided (to enter macOS split screen view) worked / gave a solution that makes me happy, but unfortunately none of the other options you provided solved the initial issues of not being able to resize the window still. I am content using the split screen view (which I did not know was a possibility!), but it's still odd that I can't resize the window manually, if I wanted to. My screen resolution settings have not changed are the same as they always were, and I don't see any accessibility setting issues. I am not sure what Safe Mode is so I do not want to try this...

    To answer your questions:

    • I am using the new version of Outlook, not legacy. This issue is for the Outlook app only, NOT the Teams app. But I am using the new version of Teams, too, if you need that information.
    • I have attached a screenshot below of my Outlook product details.

    Thank you!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments