Outlook window on Mac will not let me "shrink" or re-size horizontally (can't make window less wide)

Anonymous
2024-06-13T14:43:58+00:00

Hello, I am not sure what caused this change recently, but suddenly I cannot adjust the size of my Outlook email window on my Apple MacBook Pro screen. For example, I like to have Outlook and Teams open at the same time, and usually shrink them both so they are half width and I can have them side by side. Now, I can longer make the Outlook window slimmer from the left or right. It can only stay full screen width. I can make it shorter from the bottom, still. But that is not what I want. Does anyone know why this suddenly changed, or how to fix it? I have done all the things like quit the app and reload, and restart my whole computer. Thank you.

Outlook | MacOS | New Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-26T17:04:43+00:00

    Yes this worked! For those that need to know how, on the toolbar in Outlook, Click on the three dots. It opens a dialog box. At bottom is button to "reset" tool bar. Click it. Click Done. I am now able to drag the outlook box down to half screen like before. No more switching to legacy and out to do this. Geez why can't MS help offer this help. Thanks for the tip!!

    Another tip I just saw was in that same tool bar dialog box, at the bottom is an option for "Show Labels" mine was defaulting to "Show Labels Always". I changed it to "Show labels as Space permits". Clicked Done . Shrunk box even more and the icons "hide" as I shrink, and come back as enlarge. Unbelievable that these are not additional steps that MS Help offers community!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-26T14:06:27+00:00

    I found that the horizontal width was being set by the amount of items in the Toolbar. By using the ellipsis (...) > Customize Toolbar... and removing about three items the application width could then be minimized further. Thus I would recommend removing any and all items from your Toolbar that are not essential to your workflow.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-26T12:41:30+00:00

    Thank you Donna! That did the trick.

    It's still a bandaid Microsoft. We should be allowed to add as many toolbar shortcuts as allowed without limitation of features.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-20T23:32:37+00:00

    Same issue on my Macbook Pro. No changes to settings - started a couple of days ago.

    I reset the toolbar, which fixed the issue (as another poster suggested).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-06-19T20:03:37+00:00

    Hi,

    I had the same problem on my MacBook Pro. Outlook was fine until it wasn't. I don't know what changed, but last week, I started noticing the same issue as you described; I couldn't resize my Outlook window small enough to fit my screen, and switching to a full-screen view didn't fix it.

    After reading the replies from others with the problem (the administrator's responses did not work for me), I switched to legacy mode and then switched back to the updated version to find that the new Outlook was fitting to my screen again. I wouldn't call this a fix, but it seemed to be the only way to reset things.

    No idea if that will work for you, but I'm taking the win for now!

    Cheers,

    Jennifer

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments