Using New Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
I have file and variable names that start with double underscores. I would NEVER want them converted to anything. Is this some weird latex thing?
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
UPDATE: This issue appears to have been fixed. On 8/27, my version of Outlook was updated and this auto italics formatting is no longer occuring. "You have Microsoft Outlook Version 1.2024.821.200 (Production). Client Version is 20240822057.09." I can't find any tech hotfix or release notes to confirm this, nor do I find any new changes in options to enable/disable this feature. It has simply stopped converting my underscores.
Outlook.office.com | Can't turn off auto converting underscores to italics formatting
Typing "sand_wich_" automatically converts to "sandwich" and I can't find in web new outlook where to turn this off.
In old Outlook, I can go to "Options --> Mail --> Editor Options --> Auto Correct Options --> AutoFormat As You Type" and turn this feature off.
In new Outlook, "Options --> Auto format options" this option is not available to disable and having it disabled in old Outlook doesn't seem to carry over into new Outlook.
Please help me, where do I disable "*Bold* and _italic_ with real formatting" in new Outlook?
Using New Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I have file and variable names that start with double underscores. I would NEVER want them converted to anything. Is this some weird latex thing?
Findings here! It appears that the Rich Text conversion action is pushed to the undo stack. If you're typing _MY_VARIABLE_ and it converts to italics, you can ⌘ + z (or whatever your platform wants) and it should remove the formatting.
This seems to be the least intrusive workaround for me.
Hope it helps
Pressing the backspace key once also seems to work for reverting the formatting change.
For a company that works in code you would imagine whomever had this idea and wrote the code for this was not thinking of the rest of us. When do we expect a fix for this very_irritating_problem?
You mean veryirritatingproblem?
Please just turn this off altogether. We don't need an "opt-out" option; just turn it off. The number of people you have "helped" by implementing this bug is dwarfed by the number of people who use underscore to mean underscore.