Outlook.office.com | Can't turn off auto converting underscores to italics formatting

Anonymous
2024-07-16T18:57:57+00:00

UPDATE: This issue appears to have been fixed. On 8/27, my version of Outlook was updated and this auto italics formatting is no longer occuring. "You have Microsoft Outlook Version 1.2024.821.200 (Production). Client Version is 20240822057.09." I can't find any tech hotfix or release notes to confirm this, nor do I find any new changes in options to enable/disable this feature. It has simply stopped converting my underscores.

Outlook.office.com | Can't turn off auto converting underscores to italics formatting

Typing "sand_wich_" automatically converts to "sandwich" and I can't find in web new outlook where to turn this off.

In old Outlook, I can go to "Options --> Mail --> Editor Options --> Auto Correct Options --> AutoFormat As You Type" and turn this feature off.

In new Outlook, "Options --> Auto format options" this option is not available to disable and having it disabled in old Outlook doesn't seem to carry over into new Outlook.

Please help me, where do I disable "*Bold* and _italic_ with real formatting" in new Outlook?

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-31T08:59:34+00:00

    hey Eben Ezer Tres,

    as many have already posted, THIS_CHANGE_UDERSCORE_TO_ITALIC_ISSUE drive us all nuts...

    i need to double review any mail i send to make sure file names, variable names, etc. remain intact...

    please have a fix ASAP

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-31T16:34:44+00:00

    I noticed that the question above states that this formatting is easily turned off in old outlook, but not in new outlook.

    There has been a pattern of declining user options with Microsoft products since Windows 10 that frankly no one is happy about.

    Consider bringing this up in your next meeting, it would be sad to see such an established company lose users because options they already had are no longer available.

    I myself require this underscore formatting to never happen for work, and my throughput is affected by an option you no longer have available... user experience is king. These types of shifts away from user experience only serve to open the door for a competitor.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-31T21:00:05+00:00

    I agree, please FIX this "feature". And the related feature where typing asterisks surrounding a word makes that word BOLD, very bad too!

    -Jason

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-31T23:59:43+00:00

    One more developer with the same issue - unacceptable time waste on correcting back all MYTABLENAME entries to MY_TABLE_NAME.

    Please consider giving a highest priority to this fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-01T15:53:07+00:00

    I just now discovered this problem while trying to type out field names in a table.

    it took me 3 times a long to compose the email because I had to keep adding back the underscores. The most awful thing about this is it doesn't do it to just one field name, it does it to them all in the sentence, it does it multiple times.

    So you have to finish typing out all the things that require an underscore and then go back and fix them, starting with the first occurrence.

    I fixed one field name 5 times before I realized what it was doing... I know.. that's too many times.. Not enough coffee.

    I just want to turn it off :( :( :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments