Search no longer works in Outlook.

Anonymous
2024-09-25T04:52:04+00:00

Search no longer works in Outlook. When I try to type something in the search field, it 'flashes' and nothing is entered. This morning there was both an Outlook and a Windows update.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-18T16:20:12+00:00

    I think I've tried everything and it's still broken.

    I'm going to see if I can get help from MS support, as this appears to be an issue with 365.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-18T12:57:13+00:00

    So again to recap, the quickest work around that I have found currently is to have another email that isn't "outlook.com" server hosted. I have found Office 365 emails or AOL emails have worked in my case specifically.

    You click on the email that allows you to search, then select "All Mailboxes", run the search. The information will not show up immediately, you have to then click on the "Find more from Server" HYPERLINK ... make sure the "ALL MAILBOXES" are checked ... then the Outlook program/mail exchange will search the unsearchable outlook.com email and provide results.

    A bit redundant, but hey it works in a pinch! Better than logging onto the internet explorer, Edge, or Chrome to search online ... Which is the only other way that I found to search through the email that is having the problems, with what I am now led to be a OST problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-18T12:51:51+00:00
    1. I have restarted windows. I have Updated the OS, I actually came back this morning to a fresh version of Windows 11 Pro. I was running Windows 10 Pro yesterday. However the same exact error exists in 11 Pro and 10 Pro. I ran the troubleshooter, and clicked all 5 options within the troubleshooter, Just be make sure I wasn’t missing something.
      2. Re-Indexing is complete. And has been completed 2-3 times over the past few days, and troubleshooting with different people.
      

    Image

    Image 3. I am a bit perplexed and confused about this step. I think this is different than the indexing I performed above, but maybe it’s the same?

    1. I did create several different Outlook Profiles, to no change with the existing problem.
      
    2. Repaired the program, then completely uninstalled the program and started with a new Fresh install of the program and none of this has worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-18T11:55:21+00:00

    Same here (search functionality broken and verified on multiple Windows machines). I am running the latest Windows/Office updates (unfortunately/apparently as this used to work).

    Tried recreating the OST files (from hotmail) and reindexing on one machine but it did not make a difference. I suspect an issue with a recent update to Outlook.

    Nir

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-10-18T04:18:24+00:00

    Is there a proper fix for this? It started happing to me as well!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments