Why does New Outlook repeatedly ask for an app-specific password?

Anonymous
2023-10-27T18:37:04+00:00

I’m using New Outlook. The first time I used it, it required me to create an app-specific password to access emails in my iCloud account. After I was able to access my emails, I turned off my computer. When I went back next time to access my emails, it told me again that I needed to create an app-specific password, which I did. After using it that way for a while, now it’s asking me a third time to create an app-specific password. Why is it not retaining the app-specific password?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-26T01:19:20+00:00

    Unfortunately, the problem came back again:-(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-26T07:48:54+00:00

    yes Julian - just fyi I saw exactly the same as you. No log-ins on the same day, now the problem is back again with 6 or 7 required before Outlook email works. So for clarity i saw the same good day, the same time as you, then we are back to bad days. THESE ARE MICROSOFT PROBLEMS, not ours. Outlook went for years being faultless, now its a mess. Everyone knows it, and MS aren't fixing it. Just loads of advice posts that do nothing. I have now dumped the Outlook app and use emClient on my desktop (which is free and better), and would love to dump my many decades old email addy but i use it for so many official sign-ins, it will take a while to dump. Being realistic and tolerant we should expect the occasional technical issue - but this has been ongoing for a very long time. I've given up waiting for MS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-28T08:35:22+00:00

    I have ecatly the same issue on the New Outlook, that I need to enter the app password erverytime I reboot my device. I use my iCloud account also on my iPhone in the Outlook App. There the Outlook App can save the app password and I don't get the sign in window after a while.

    It seems that the New Outlook can't save the app password.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-28T12:20:50+00:00

    It seems the 'New Outlook' App replacing the Windows Mail is very hit & miss. After completely uninstalling it and the associated files from 'Program Files' then reinstalling it, it appears to be more stable. However I still can't add an 'Alias' Outlook email as the Primary Email is allocated to another Account! This wasn't a problem on Windows Mail. Also there doesn't appear to be an spell check feature on New Outlook so I have to compose in Word and C&P into Outlook! All in all they have replaced a perfectly good working Mail program with an inferior version.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-04T19:50:04+00:00

    It's Apr 4, 2024 and I'm done with Outlook. Every time I get it 'fixed' it reverts back to needing an app password....it's been MONTHS! So long MS!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments