Why does New Outlook repeatedly ask for an app-specific password?

Anonymous
2023-10-27T18:37:04+00:00

I’m using New Outlook. The first time I used it, it required me to create an app-specific password to access emails in my iCloud account. After I was able to access my emails, I turned off my computer. When I went back next time to access my emails, it told me again that I needed to create an app-specific password, which I did. After using it that way for a while, now it’s asking me a third time to create an app-specific password. Why is it not retaining the app-specific password?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-02-02T02:40:16+00:00

    I’m using New Outlook. The first time I used it, it required me to create an app-specific password to access emails in my iCloud account. After I was able to access my emails, I turned off my computer. When I went back next time to access my emails, it told me again that I needed to create an app-specific password, which I did. After using it that way for a while, now it’s asking me a third time to create an app-specific password. Why is it not retaining the app-specific password?

    It is January 31, 2024 and I too have been experiencing this same issue. I have tried all of the trouble shooting suggestions to no avail. Microsoft, please review and correct.

    Same here, I have exactly the same problem!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-09T20:39:11+00:00

    Same here! 2/9/24

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-02-15T17:21:01+00:00

    I have the same problem still as of 15/02/24! 'New' Outlook seems to be incapable of storing the App Pass from iCloud!

    Also it refuses to install my Hotmail Email wheras the previous Win Mail worked fine with every Platform! I am of the conclusion this 'New' Outlook is a piece of junk! Just let us retain Windows Mail it works fine! If it ain't broke don't fix it!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-02-19T22:26:47+00:00

    I have identical issue.

    I will add that I must delete the icloud account, then create a new one. Notable, is that I can reuse the same application specific password as before and the account is reactivated and restored. For about 30 minutes. Then Outlook drops the account again and the process repeats. ****?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-02-21T11:42:19+00:00

    I have identical issue.

    I will add that I must delete the icloud account, then create a new one. Notable, is that I can reuse the same application specific password as before and the account is reactivated and restored. For about 30 minutes. Then Outlook drops the account again and the process repeats. ****?

    You've tried harder than me. I refuse to delete a perfectly good and functional iCould Account! As mentioned previously, I've returned to the Windows Mail program that works fine! Is 'New Outlook' a ploy to get us on subscription to MS 365 or the previous clunky Outlook 2003 / 2010 programs with their cumbersome pst files? Not going back there! When they eventually abolish Win Mail I'll try a final time to see if they've fixed 'New Outlook' if not plenty of good alternative Email Clients to use!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments