Why does New Outlook repeatedly ask for an app-specific password?

Anonymous
2023-10-27T18:37:04+00:00

I’m using New Outlook. The first time I used it, it required me to create an app-specific password to access emails in my iCloud account. After I was able to access my emails, I turned off my computer. When I went back next time to access my emails, it told me again that I needed to create an app-specific password, which I did. After using it that way for a while, now it’s asking me a third time to create an app-specific password. Why is it not retaining the app-specific password?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-02-02T02:40:16+00:00

    I’m using New Outlook. The first time I used it, it required me to create an app-specific password to access emails in my iCloud account. After I was able to access my emails, I turned off my computer. When I went back next time to access my emails, it told me again that I needed to create an app-specific password, which I did. After using it that way for a while, now it’s asking me a third time to create an app-specific password. Why is it not retaining the app-specific password?

    It is January 31, 2024 and I too have been experiencing this same issue. I have tried all of the trouble shooting suggestions to no avail. Microsoft, please review and correct.

    Same here, I have exactly the same problem!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-31T12:27:39+00:00

    I’m using New Outlook. The first time I used it, it required me to create an app-specific password to access emails in my iCloud account. After I was able to access my emails, I turned off my computer. When I went back next time to access my emails, it told me again that I needed to create an app-specific password, which I did. After using it that way for a while, now it’s asking me a third time to create an app-specific password. Why is it not retaining the app-specific password?

    It is January 31, 2024 and I too have been experiencing this same issue. I have tried all of the trouble shooting suggestions to no avail. Microsoft, please review and correct.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-25T20:02:56+00:00

    Happening here as well, with both my Outlook and Hotmail accounts. Using Outlook 2013.
    No issues with OWA logins.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-25T05:17:51+00:00

    Its happening with me as well on hotmail. I havent uninstalled Outlook yet but have tried deleting and creating App passwords. Seems like they work for a while but it eventually gives me a popup.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-18T06:09:53+00:00

    None of these steps help - also, this response feels like it was written by AI.

    Still an issue as of 18 Jan 2024

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments