Why does New Outlook repeatedly ask for an app-specific password?

Anonymous
2023-10-27T18:37:04+00:00

I’m using New Outlook. The first time I used it, it required me to create an app-specific password to access emails in my iCloud account. After I was able to access my emails, I turned off my computer. When I went back next time to access my emails, it told me again that I needed to create an app-specific password, which I did. After using it that way for a while, now it’s asking me a third time to create an app-specific password. Why is it not retaining the app-specific password?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-27T02:58:18+00:00

    This has been well over a year since this problem with New Outlook was identified.

    All potential solutions involving changing Apple passwords, iCloud, etc. are a distraction. The problem is with New Outlook.

    My temporary solution is to revert back to (Old) Outlook and wait for Microsoft to fix this bug.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-11-26T21:27:06+00:00

    I don't know exactly what you've done to fix your problem. If it works for you, great.

    I use the New Outlook application on my PC (Windows 11) and the Apple app-specific passwords keep resetting for unknow reasons.

    The inconvenient result is the un-synching of my iCloud Mail from my Outlook app. Then I have to go back to my Apple Account and re-generate a new app-specific password for Outlook.

    How many times am I going to have to do this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-11-26T17:23:16+00:00

    Same for me. Are you going to finally fix this problem? Very annoying.

    Apple does NOT have special security settings to automatically change app-specific passwords based on time criteria.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-03T20:53:33+00:00

    I figured it out.

    In Apple Mail I mistakenly used the 'Other Mail Account...' option when I installed the email there a few years back.

    It started having troubles in the last couple of months and now won't work since MS shut down using the app passwords for it yesterday without a note at that page about it.

    I SHOULD HAVE installed the email as a 'Microsoft Exchange' email account. Which I just did. It works great.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-10-03T13:11:37+00:00

    I'm having the same problem on New Outlook

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments