Why does New Outlook repeatedly ask for an app-specific password?

Anonymous
2023-10-27T18:37:04+00:00

I’m using New Outlook. The first time I used it, it required me to create an app-specific password to access emails in my iCloud account. After I was able to access my emails, I turned off my computer. When I went back next time to access my emails, it told me again that I needed to create an app-specific password, which I did. After using it that way for a while, now it’s asking me a third time to create an app-specific password. Why is it not retaining the app-specific password?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-03T20:53:33+00:00

    I figured it out.

    In Apple Mail I mistakenly used the 'Other Mail Account...' option when I installed the email there a few years back.

    It started having troubles in the last couple of months and now won't work since MS shut down using the app passwords for it yesterday without a note at that page about it.

    I SHOULD HAVE installed the email as a 'Microsoft Exchange' email account. Which I just did. It works great.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-03T13:11:37+00:00

    I'm having the same problem on New Outlook

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-02T03:16:35+00:00

    I do not have a cloud account. I am old and downloaded an app. In order to open the app it asks for my e-mail and then a password. Is it my e-mail account it needs or a different made-up password. as I say I am old so make sense of it. Also how do II get back to this to see if you answer??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-03T17:49:56+00:00

    I think I have this figured out. It seems Microsoft has stopped service on the classic Outlook mail client. They have a New Outlook. I tried all kinds of things I could find online to no avail. Once installed the New Outlook, my two Hotmail accounts work and never have an issues. This proves, there is nothing wrong with the POP/IMAP setup. It is just Microsoft DECIDED that they will stop Hotmail on all classic Outlook, WITHOUT being honest and telling everyone with a informative error message. So solutions are, 1. use the NEW Outlook, which lacks some useful feature. 2. find another email vendor. While you are phasing out Hotmail, you can setup Forwarding to forward Hotmails to your new email account. This way, you can at least read your email and just won't be able to login classic Outlook to send emails--you can always use a browser to login to read and reply. Same applies to phone--you can read and not able to reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-07-21T10:30:08+00:00

    I have had to set up my passwords six times now. This is crazy for the new outlook. It is taking so much time to reset everything. Please, I need help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments