Why does New Outlook repeatedly ask for an app-specific password?

Anonymous
2023-10-27T18:37:04+00:00

I’m using New Outlook. The first time I used it, it required me to create an app-specific password to access emails in my iCloud account. After I was able to access my emails, I turned off my computer. When I went back next time to access my emails, it told me again that I needed to create an app-specific password, which I did. After using it that way for a while, now it’s asking me a third time to create an app-specific password. Why is it not retaining the app-specific password?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-31T04:45:20+00:00

    I think the problem is unsuccessful logins. I got a lot of unsuccessful hacking logins. When that happens, it seems Outlook will disable the app password. Creating a new app password fixes the problem, until more failed logins come in and disable the new app password. Very annoying. Microsoft needs to provide a solution: sending alerts on unsuccessful logins and give owners an option not to disable the app password (when owner decides the app password is still good.) Plus, make the app password much harder (currently only 16 lower case letters.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-28T12:20:50+00:00

    It seems the 'New Outlook' App replacing the Windows Mail is very hit & miss. After completely uninstalling it and the associated files from 'Program Files' then reinstalling it, it appears to be more stable. However I still can't add an 'Alias' Outlook email as the Primary Email is allocated to another Account! This wasn't a problem on Windows Mail. Also there doesn't appear to be an spell check feature on New Outlook so I have to compose in Word and C&P into Outlook! All in all they have replaced a perfectly good working Mail program with an inferior version.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-28T08:35:22+00:00

    I have ecatly the same issue on the New Outlook, that I need to enter the app password erverytime I reboot my device. I use my iCloud account also on my iPhone in the Outlook App. There the Outlook App can save the app password and I don't get the sign in window after a while.

    It seems that the New Outlook can't save the app password.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-26T01:19:20+00:00

    Unfortunately, the problem came back again:-(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-22T04:30:41+00:00

    Today is 3/22/2024, it seems the problem is gone. The Microsoft Outlook does not ask me the to enter the APP Password this morning!

    Julian

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments