Why does New Outlook repeatedly ask for an app-specific password?

Anonymous
2023-10-27T18:37:04+00:00

I’m using New Outlook. The first time I used it, it required me to create an app-specific password to access emails in my iCloud account. After I was able to access my emails, I turned off my computer. When I went back next time to access my emails, it told me again that I needed to create an app-specific password, which I did. After using it that way for a while, now it’s asking me a third time to create an app-specific password. Why is it not retaining the app-specific password?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-26T21:27:06+00:00

    I don't know exactly what you've done to fix your problem. If it works for you, great.

    I use the New Outlook application on my PC (Windows 11) and the Apple app-specific passwords keep resetting for unknow reasons.

    The inconvenient result is the un-synching of my iCloud Mail from my Outlook app. Then I have to go back to my Apple Account and re-generate a new app-specific password for Outlook.

    How many times am I going to have to do this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-04T19:50:04+00:00

    It's Apr 4, 2024 and I'm done with Outlook. Every time I get it 'fixed' it reverts back to needing an app password....it's been MONTHS! So long MS!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-26T07:48:54+00:00

    yes Julian - just fyi I saw exactly the same as you. No log-ins on the same day, now the problem is back again with 6 or 7 required before Outlook email works. So for clarity i saw the same good day, the same time as you, then we are back to bad days. THESE ARE MICROSOFT PROBLEMS, not ours. Outlook went for years being faultless, now its a mess. Everyone knows it, and MS aren't fixing it. Just loads of advice posts that do nothing. I have now dumped the Outlook app and use emClient on my desktop (which is free and better), and would love to dump my many decades old email addy but i use it for so many official sign-ins, it will take a while to dump. Being realistic and tolerant we should expect the occasional technical issue - but this has been ongoing for a very long time. I've given up waiting for MS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-01T01:37:52+00:00

    For now, every morning when I logon to my PC, the Outlook will ask my APP password. I entered the APP password and it would work for a few seconds. And then the window most likely will pop up again and ask the APP password again. I would simply close the pop up window. Sometimes the Outlook would be happy for the rest of the day. Sometimes the Outlook would say "NEED PASSWORD". I just simply click on it, it then changes to "CONNECTED TO; MICROSOFT EXCHANGE". Just a nuisance but it is a work around for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-02-09T20:39:11+00:00

    Same here! 2/9/24

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments