How to search for emails by category on new Outlook app

Anonymous
2023-11-14T20:56:23+00:00

In the older version of the Outlook app on desktop, I was able to easily search for emails with a specific category. However with the new Outlook app, I'm not sure how to do that anymore. I understand that you can click on an email with a category to search for emails with the same category, but I find this rather inconvenient. Is there an easier workaround that's more similar to how the old Outlook app worked?

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-11-15T03:00:40+00:00

Dear Yongj_363,

Good day! Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are happy to assist you.

Based on your description, you are asking about searching for emails by category on the new Outlook app. Here's how:

  1. Click on the search bar at the top of the Outlook app.
  2. Type in the name of the category you want to search for.
  3. Choose the category option when it comes out.
  4. The search results will show all emails that have been categorized with the category you searched for.

I did an sample search, please refer to the information below:

  1. I categorized my emails in my inbox as custom 123, default Blue, Green and Purple.

.

  1. When I search emails with one specific category, I just search the name of this category.

For123: I typed 123, the option would come out for searching 123 category (If the option does not show up, add a space).

.

.

For Blue category: I typed Blue and I got the option for Blue category.

.

.

I hope the information above can be useful for you. If there is any update or I misunderstand you, please feel free to let me know. I will continue to assist you. Your understanding and co-operation are highly appreciated.

Thanks for your precious time. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Sherry | Microsoft Community Moderator

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-07T17:57:28+00:00

    Yes same issue!!! Why would we remove this? Help Microsoft!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-09T02:24:40+00:00

    this has also disappeared for me too - incredibly frustrating as I have recently reconfigured my entire filing system to use categories and not folders. Is Microsoft looking into this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-10T15:26:48+00:00

    I also am unable to search for emails by category in the search field when using Outlook in my browser. I used to be able to search. What can I do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more