No spelling suggestions in the right-click menu (New Outlook for Windows)

Anonymous
2024-01-18T13:58:51+00:00

Split from this thread.

I have had the same issue, but I have the Office 365 Outlook app actually loaded on my computer.

It happened when I switched to the new view of Outlook. I am ready to switch back to the old view due to this feature not working. I use it all the time.

It shows the spelling error, but does not provide spelling suggestions in the right click pop up menu.

I checked the editor settings and these are all turned on. I also restarted the application.

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-07T19:38:06+00:00

    No it does NOT. Maybe it is supposed to. Maybe it does on your computer. But it does not work on mine, and like the original poster, all the settings are set, but it doesn't offer any spelling suggestions. It just shows some text formatting options and an option to copy the word.

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-10T15:02:29+00:00

    Not for me. Left-click does nothing and right-click only gives a COPY option or a text-editing ribbon...but, no word suggestions.

    BUT, If I open the draft in a new window, then it works normally. The New Outlook view just doesn't allow me to see it on the preview/edit side.

    On pop-out window, though:

    Goign back to old Outlook also fixes this (but, all edits/drafts open in a new window anyway, there).

    I'd like to stick with the new Outlook, but I can't get around missing the easy/quick editing feature without having to go the extra step of opening my draft in a new window. I'd rather that it worked like the web version...all in one window.

    Rob

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-18T13:46:09+00:00

    I don't understand why Microsoft wants to annoy their users by making changes like this. I haven't used outlook in so many years but have to now because of a new client. I'm seriously considering dropping my client because this issue is so annoying.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-10T18:38:32+00:00

    I seem to have regained at least left-click spell check in-line by changing a couple of buried settings.

    In the menu: View > View Settings > General > Privacy & Data > Privacy Settings

    And then under "Connected Experiences" turn on "Turn on experiences that analyze your content".

    If you also turn on "Turn on experiences that download online content" you also getting typing suggestions.

    These settings are buried way deep and not where you would usually look to turn on a spellchecker.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2023-07-05T18:26:48+00:00

    I have had the same issue, but I have the Office 365 Outlook app actually loaded on my computer.

    It happened when I switched to the new view of Outlook. I am ready to switch back to the old view due to this feature not working. I use it all the time.

    It shows the spelling error, but does not provide spelling suggestions in the right click pop up menu.

    I checked the editor settings and these are all turned on. I also restarted the application.

    In the new Outlook for Windows, simply clicking in a word which is flagged as misspelled will display spelling suggestions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments