Using New Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
Did anybody have a fix for this issue?
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I updated my computer this morning and now anytime I try and attach an email to an outgoing email, my entire Outlook crashes (before the email attaches and I get a chance to try and send the outgoing email). I've tried restarting Outlook and my computer. I have no problem attaching and sending other types of files. The issue is not limited to one particular email message I'm trying to attach or send -- I've tested the issue, and it has happened with all my tests or various email (.msg) attachments and outgoing emails.
I routinely attach emails from within my Outlook to my outgoing emails in Outlook, by dragging and dropping the email I want to attach to my outgoing email. This is the first time I'm having this issue. I imagine it may have something to do with the update I was forced to run this morning.
Any troubleshooting advice would be much appreciated. Thank you, all!
Using New Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Did anybody have a fix for this issue?
Thanks so much for that Jos - followed your instructions and the version was rolled back to 2401. I lost a couple of hours productivity this afternoon researching and trying to sort that out but your solution had it sorted in less than 5 mins. I've disabled automatic updates in Office so we just need Microsoft to fix verison 2402. Great work!
I'm glad to hear my post has helped sombody :)
I think your idea of disabling updates is also a great one - File => Office Account => Update Options - disable updates.
I'll keep updates disabled until I know MS has fixed the issue (or at least until v2403 is released for testing). Hopefully we can continue to revert back to v2401 if things break again...
Jos
Thanks so much for that Jos - followed your instructions and the version was rolled back to 2401. I lost a couple of hours productivity this afternoon researching and trying to sort that out but your solution had it sorted in less than 5 mins. I've disabled automatic updates in Office so we just need Microsoft to fix verison 2402. Great work!
Hi, I had this same issue with a few of my users. I can confirm it's version 2402. I had two different patch versions of it, and had the same issue. I moved my tenant back to the Enterprise Update channel (instead of the Current channel) to prevent other users from getting this update and then I used the Office Offline Installer to get back to the 2401 version (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/use-the-office-offline-installer-f0a85fe7-118f-41cb-a791-d59cef96ad1c) and it works fine again on my users systems. I did not try the 2403 beta version to see if that fixes it or not.
Hi Robert,
Downgrading to v2401 seems to worked for me (checkout my latest post for anybody who wants to know how). Have you tested the beta v2403 yet to see if it has the same issue?
Jos
Hi All,
I may have a workaround - Downgrade back to v4201 until MS fixes the issue!
I have just tested this and it works for me, but I am the local admin for my machine so was able to run this:
Open command prompt as administrator, then run the following command:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\officec2rclient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.17231.20236
If you are admin, it should kick off the process (if you are not running as admin you will get nothing - this happened to me first time).
You will see a few windows with progress bars:
"Downloading Microsoft 365 and Office updates..."
this one may take a while depending on yoru internet connection speed.
Then "Applying Updates". This one shodul be relatively quick.
Then "Updates were installed" - this indicates it all worked.
I was then able to open outlook, and confirm it was downgraded from v4202 to v4201 (File => Office Account =>About Outlook)
It's taken me a few days and many hours of troubleshooting, so I hope this helps everybody on this thread :).
Jos