Outlook 365 and "New Outlook" - how do I stop it from automatically changing?

Anonymous
2024-05-09T20:46:04+00:00

I have Outlook 365 Enterprise version, which I use with exchange and IMAP accounts.

Recently, whenever I start the computer, it automatically starts "New Outlook". I then have to change it back each time.

The New Outlook has a limited feature set, and is not useful to me. I already have the Outlook 365 Enterprise version, and do not want this persistent, annoying, offering from Microsoft.

I am unable to find anywhere to turn this off, or how to uninstall the files prompting this.

How do I permanently disable this New Outlook?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-05-10T14:37:42+00:00

Dear JGreg7,

Good morning! Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Community. We are happy to help you.

Based on your description, I understand that you have a query "Outlook 365 and "New Outlook" - how do I stop it from automatically changing?"

To disable the New Outlook experience in Outlook 365, please try following these steps:

  1. Open Outlook 365 and click on the "File" tab in the top left corner.
  2. Click on "Options" in the left-hand menu.
  3. In the Outlook Options window, click on "General" in the left-hand menu.
  4. Scroll down to the "Start-up options" section and uncheck the box next to "Opt in to the New Outlook".
  5. Click "OK" to save the changes.

This should prevent the New Outlook experience from automatically starting when you open Outlook 365. If you continue to experience issues, you can go to Windows Start and search for Outlook, you will see both Outlook, there is Outlook with PRE for the new Outlook in which you can open by olk.exe and the other Outlook for classic Outlook in which you can use Outlook.exe to open it.

However, if the "New outlook" button disappeared, try running Regedit.exe and go here (or the same with 15.0 if you don't have 16.0):

  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Preferences
  • And in this you will see UseNewOutlook
  • Set it to 0, which means that running old Outlook actually runs it.

Additionally, you can use, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options\General

  • REG_DWORD "HideNewOutlookToggle"
  • Set to 0 (default) - The "Try the new Outlook" toggle, if available on the selected update channel, is displayed to users.
  • Set to 1 - the "Try the new Outlook" toggle is hidden.

See Toggling out of the new Outlook for Windows preview - Microsoft Support

I hope the above information is helpful. Please feel free to let me know how it goes or if I got you wrong. If you still have any concerns, please let me know so I can provide more suggestions.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-18T10:16:54+00:00

    Disabling registry is only one step, but i have created a small script, that completely eradicates. the script follows the steps outlined by MS (Control installation and use of new Outlook - Microsoft 365 Apps | Microsoft Learn)
    you can download from here Disable new outlook. Cheers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-13T21:59:49+00:00

    I use Classic Outlook, but every time I opened an external calendar invite, it would launch the New Outlook and display the New Outlook Inbox. This made it seem like the invite didn’t open, so I kept trying. The New Outlook isn’t very intuitive, but I decided to just try clicking on the calendar.

    This brought up a screen titled "Upload From File," prompting me to import or drag files and select a calendar (even though I only have one calendar).

    Once I did that, I could finally save the invite to my calendar in New Outlook, which also saved it in Classic Outlook.

    The entire process was extremely frustrating to go through repeatedly.

    Here’s how I fixed the issue:

    How to stop the New Outlook from opening by default and block it from opening external calendar invites

    1. Change Default Apps Settings
      • Set Outlook to Classic Outlook.
      • Set Calendar for the .ics file type option (calendar files), select the Classic Outlook icon.
    2. Adjust Permissions for the New Outlook App
      • Go to Apps > Installed Apps > Outlook (New).
      • Under Background app permissions, set the “Let this app run in the background” option to Never.

    This resolved the issue and prevented the New Outlook from opening unnecessarily!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-07T22:03:33+00:00

    I will not download 365 you cant get rid of new outlook just go to help on your mail page then click go to classic outlook you have to do this every time you open your mail

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-07T18:55:23+00:00

    how do you open outlook

    365

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments