email attachment disappearing after I reply to an email

Anonymous
2023-10-31T13:27:45+00:00

Hi I am using Office 365 Outlook.

After replying to an email containing an attachment, I can no longer view the attachment. I have tried setting the inbox to show individual messages, not as a conversation (by going to Inbox, filter, show as, messages), but it still seems to be keeping the messages in a conversation (for example, the email with the attachment that has gone missing shows up in the email chain, but when I scroll down to the date it was received, it is missing.

Can you please tell me the best way to resolve this?

I am using Microsoft office 365 MSO version 2302 build 16.0.16130.20806 64 bit

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-09T17:01:32+00:00

    I think I was able to find the settings in the recommendation by switching back to old outlook, clicking on the account I wanted to update, following the steps suggested, changing the suggested settings, then switching back to new outlook. I don't know if it has solved the issue of losing attachments and links, but I will find out soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-22T21:00:21+00:00

    It would be helpful and appreciated if Microsoft could come up with a resolution for this. Seems like many people are frustrated by this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-20T20:15:05+00:00

    Totally agree with you! The attachment should still remain in the received email...but, it doesn't and until Microsoft fixes, my workaround is to reply with a forward and then the attachment stays in my inbox. Terribly inconvenient!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-20T19:59:27+00:00

    Eleni, I have a better idea: maybe Microsoft should fix this. On what planet would an Outlook user WANT message attachments deleted when replying?

    Also, I can't find a 'File menu', so I can't change the setting.

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-11T01:45:40+00:00

    Agree with you. Those recommendations don't work. I just print or save the attachment before replying now. It's super frustrating! Wasted a couple of hours following that advice and it still disappears when I reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments