email attachment disappearing after I reply to an email

Anonymous
2023-10-31T13:27:45+00:00

Hi I am using Office 365 Outlook.

After replying to an email containing an attachment, I can no longer view the attachment. I have tried setting the inbox to show individual messages, not as a conversation (by going to Inbox, filter, show as, messages), but it still seems to be keeping the messages in a conversation (for example, the email with the attachment that has gone missing shows up in the email chain, but when I scroll down to the date it was received, it is missing.

Can you please tell me the best way to resolve this?

I am using Microsoft office 365 MSO version 2302 build 16.0.16130.20806 64 bit

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-18T00:58:23+00:00

    I was able to find attachments by right clicking on the message, hover over "find related" and click on "messages in this conversation". It is then possible to access the original attachment.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-29T18:37:42+00:00

    This is such ****. Sometimes MS programmers act like a arrogant Gods. " We don't care, Move on"

    Often when pressed for time on the road I reply to a message from a customer using mobile app without checking for an attachment to let them know I'm not ignoring them. If there was an attachment, like there was today, its lost.

    At the very least they could warn you or save the attachment temporarily so it could be recovered somehow.

    To go back to a customer, client or superior to request they resend is embarrasing. MS puts loads of nanny protections to save users from themselves. Why not here where its blatently needed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-25T14:21:16+00:00

    If I send an email with an attachment I want to be able to see the attachment when my recipient replies. I can't force them to change their settings. Gmail allows this and Outlook used to. I just want to be able to look at what I sent when I get a reply so I don't have to go back to my sent folder and find what I sent

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-22T19:21:42+00:00

    This worked for me. Under the "VIEW" drop down menu, click on "change view" --- and select "Preview" then "manage view".

    I then selected "Preview" at the bottom and clicked on "apply view".

    When I went back to the email that had the attachment I was looking for, I was able to click on the paper clip to the left of the "from:" name and it popped open that email WITH the attachment visible.

    This is the ONLY way I have been able to solve this problem. At least I was able to find the attachment. The rest of the "views" showed I had an attachment but I could not GET TO the attachment. Hope that helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-19T11:28:03+00:00

    Totally agree. I've been asked to review vital legal documents. Replied to sender's email saying I would do so, now the attachments in the original sender's email have disappeared, there's just an image of the attachments file names at the bottom of the original email. So every time I receive an email, I must now save any attachments before I reply or forward. Great, so much for "features to optimise your time " or some such marketing waffle.

    Does anyone at Microsoft actually live in the real world?

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments