email attachment disappearing after I reply to an email

Anonymous
2023-10-31T13:27:45+00:00

Hi I am using Office 365 Outlook.

After replying to an email containing an attachment, I can no longer view the attachment. I have tried setting the inbox to show individual messages, not as a conversation (by going to Inbox, filter, show as, messages), but it still seems to be keeping the messages in a conversation (for example, the email with the attachment that has gone missing shows up in the email chain, but when I scroll down to the date it was received, it is missing.

Can you please tell me the best way to resolve this?

I am using Microsoft office 365 MSO version 2302 build 16.0.16130.20806 64 bit

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-04-29T13:23:59+00:00

    On the top right there is option to turn off new outlook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-29T23:39:03+00:00

    Hello, I think I found a workaround since Microsoft refuses to do anything about this.

    If you search for the original senders name in the search bar, it will pull up all of the emails you have received from them. Scroll and search for the original email received, before you responded to it. It should still contain the attachment.

    Don't ask how long it took for me to figure this out. It seems like microsoft should be able to tell us this information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T23:39:26+00:00

    Hello this one below help me! Thnak you so much!!

    • One possible reason for this issue is that your Outlook is configured to include original message text only when replying or forwarding an email. This means that the attachments are not included in the reply or forward, and they are removed from the original message as well. To fix this, you can change the Replies and forwards mail settings as follows: Open the Outlook app. Click on the File menu in the top left corner. Click on Options. Select Mail from the left pane. Under Replies and forwards, set the following options: When replying to a message - Attach original message When forwarding a message - Include original message text Click OK to save the changes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-21T07:35:40+00:00

    We are in February 2025 and the design has not evolved.... I'm experiencing this issue with outlook after 5 years of gmail at my work that used to work great. Can't believe they're still not fixing it.

    Please Microsoft, just keep grouped all the attached file in a conversation. Is that so hard?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-10T15:20:57+00:00

    In following the steps suggested by the tech guy above, I was able to restore attachments. I had to go to old version of outlook to follow the steps suggest. I also turned on the attachment preview and conversations grouped....I now have them in the same thread, whereas before they were just gone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments