Outlook emails get moved to drafts folder as I'm composing the email

Anonymous
2024-03-01T17:27:04+00:00

As I type an email on my desktop, my Outlook app closes the email and moves it to my Drafts folder. I then have to open up my Drafts folder, open the email, and continue typing. This happens when I've had an email open for 30 seconds or many minutes (e.g., it's not like I've been drafting an email for 30 minutes and have stepped away and Outlook moves it to drafts). I'm often in the middle of typing a sentence and the email disappears and it's gone to Drafts. I then have to go do Drafts and manually reopen the email I was literally just typing. Sometimes it opens immediately, other times it opens and says the email is being edited in another window (which, why???).

It doesn't happen with every email but happens many times per week. A cursory review seems like many people in different environments are having the same issue. I've restarted my computer, all apps are fully updated.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-15T01:04:28+00:00

    Hi, I also have this problem in the new Outlook. The only way I've been able to get around it is by changing settings to group by conversations (newest on top).

    Settings > Mail > Layout > Message organization > Show email grouped by conversation > Newest on top.

    I prefer show email as individual messages, but grouping by conversations does solve the issue of the email disappearing to draft folder. It stays in the inbox with the message you are replying too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-11-15T09:38:51+00:00

    Interesting. I always miss stuff when grouped together - but thank you for your response!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-11-15T09:53:28+00:00

    First, this problem is happening to me on a Mac, so the instructions cannot be followed.

    Second, I have tried creating a new profile and it makes no difference - the problem persists

    Please provide further advice.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-18T01:17:24+00:00

    Me too! I can't decide what is more annoying...drafts disappearing or re-wiring my brain to deal with conversation groupings. Ideally Microsoft will fix the draft bug.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-11-20T19:08:43+00:00

    This is instructions from like 2010. Please fix your software.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments