Outlook emails get moved to drafts folder as I'm composing the email

Anonymous
2024-03-01T17:27:04+00:00

As I type an email on my desktop, my Outlook app closes the email and moves it to my Drafts folder. I then have to open up my Drafts folder, open the email, and continue typing. This happens when I've had an email open for 30 seconds or many minutes (e.g., it's not like I've been drafting an email for 30 minutes and have stepped away and Outlook moves it to drafts). I'm often in the middle of typing a sentence and the email disappears and it's gone to Drafts. I then have to go do Drafts and manually reopen the email I was literally just typing. Sometimes it opens immediately, other times it opens and says the email is being edited in another window (which, why???).

It doesn't happen with every email but happens many times per week. A cursory review seems like many people in different environments are having the same issue. I've restarted my computer, all apps are fully updated.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T14:29:34+00:00

    I have 2 computers with Outlook 365. I have the same problem. When writing an email it will go to draft folder, no matter if I uncheck the feature in settings or extend the time. This is my workaround and its easy, just change the draft folder to go to the inbox. Now it will popup draft but the email will stay in the inbox and will behave satisfactorily

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-12T14:25:03+00:00

    after resending the mail from the draft the mail just vanishes ;)
    i'm going back to old outlook and everything works fine

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-07T19:15:48+00:00

    I have the same issue. Just moved to Outlook 365 from desktop. It really sucks. Moving back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-07T05:16:13+00:00

    Repetitive Draft emails in Ooutlook

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-01-28T16:26:58+00:00

    I'm having the exact same issue in the app for Mac. Where before I would hit "reply" or "forward" and start typing my email, now when I hit those functions I see a note at the bottom of my screen "saving to drafts". Now I have to go to drafts, find it, double click to open it and it doesn't give you the space at the top to begin composing. Besides the fact that now you are definitely cranky about the whole wasted 5 minutes for one email.

    My quick solutions, which SUCKS to have to do a workaround, is that I now double click and "open" any email I'm going to forward or reply to. Then when I reply or forward it turns that opened email into a real email that I can now type in.

    Really dumb though.

    Our company IT dept can't figure it out either and said it's because I have too many emails. Well, I've deleted, archived and done what I can, but I still have to work! Oy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments