Outlook emails get moved to drafts folder as I'm composing the email

Anonymous
2024-03-01T17:27:04+00:00

As I type an email on my desktop, my Outlook app closes the email and moves it to my Drafts folder. I then have to open up my Drafts folder, open the email, and continue typing. This happens when I've had an email open for 30 seconds or many minutes (e.g., it's not like I've been drafting an email for 30 minutes and have stepped away and Outlook moves it to drafts). I'm often in the middle of typing a sentence and the email disappears and it's gone to Drafts. I then have to go do Drafts and manually reopen the email I was literally just typing. Sometimes it opens immediately, other times it opens and says the email is being edited in another window (which, why???).

It doesn't happen with every email but happens many times per week. A cursory review seems like many people in different environments are having the same issue. I've restarted my computer, all apps are fully updated.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T21:15:25+00:00

    outlook 365 go to

    file

    options

    mail

    saved messages

    change draft folder to inbox

    your email doc will change to draft but it will still be in the inbox, which will have good behavior

    not sure about changing replies

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T21:00:31+00:00

    One thing I found helpful to alleviate this "making drafts" situation...I have had to run a lean and clean email machine! Meaning, I have my inbox cleared out, my junk folder emptied, and less than 1,000 emails in my trash at all times. I saw that it said caching and storage issues may affect this weird glitch, so once I eliminated the backlog and clutter, I no longer have that issue. However, in a week or two if I don't keep things cleaned out, the draft anamoly will appear again. Hope this helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T20:52:50+00:00

    I tried finding an option to change replies, but it is not there for me. I can't even get to the text box to draft a message. It automatically goes to "draft" and I can't write anything. Very frustrating and looking to move away from Outlook!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T14:46:34+00:00

    yes it would drive me crazy, thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T14:39:35+00:00

    Great idea. Wonder why it is not fixed yet? I also wonder why Microsoft did not think of this? Thanks for sharing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments