Outlook emails get moved to drafts folder as I'm composing the email

Anonymous
2024-03-01T17:27:04+00:00

As I type an email on my desktop, my Outlook app closes the email and moves it to my Drafts folder. I then have to open up my Drafts folder, open the email, and continue typing. This happens when I've had an email open for 30 seconds or many minutes (e.g., it's not like I've been drafting an email for 30 minutes and have stepped away and Outlook moves it to drafts). I'm often in the middle of typing a sentence and the email disappears and it's gone to Drafts. I then have to go do Drafts and manually reopen the email I was literally just typing. Sometimes it opens immediately, other times it opens and says the email is being edited in another window (which, why???).

It doesn't happen with every email but happens many times per week. A cursory review seems like many people in different environments are having the same issue. I've restarted my computer, all apps are fully updated.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-28T23:45:05+00:00

    I have a similar issue, as does a colleague in my office.

    Outlook now sends emails I am just starting to the draft or archive folders. This occurs when I click once in the email body and type the letter d for 'Dear' but now I have to click twice for this to not happen (which I forget to do, as the single click is hardwired in my brain).

    It is extremely frustrating to have to hunt for the email in either the draft or archive folder. Sometimes it takes another email with it, too.

    What can I do to have the 'single-click' function again?

    Thanks.

    Kate

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-15T11:40:54+00:00

    Hello Sandy,

    Good morning!   

    Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We are happy to help you. 

      Please Sandy, let me know if the issue still persists after try the Amgad Abdrabbu suggestion

    We look forward to your reply. We will continue to assist you based on the information you provide. I sincerely appreciate your patience and cooperation.   SincerelyEben Ezer Tres | Microsoft Community Moderator

    Hello Eben-Ezer,

    The issue of draft emails disappearing during composition to be saved in the Drafts folder still persists. The Amgad Abdrabbu suggestion does not work for Oulook-for-MacOS.

    Can you help?

    Thanks,

    Jeremy

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-15T11:54:25+00:00

    This is happening to me frequently. I have narrowed it down based on some research and it has to do with the internet connection in my case since it is coming from a Satellite and running into remote desktop software.

    If I put in the recipient and the subject and move immediately to start to compose an email. I get an extra draft for no reason or the original email I was composing goes to archive.

    Again, these don't seem to be that big of a technical issue. I don't understand why it takes MSoft a year to fix things.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-08T15:18:17+00:00

    I have this same Issue. I tried to follow the instructions ..

    (- Select click file tab > options > mail tab > save messages section.)

    However, none of these tabs exist on my Microsoft 365 outlook pages anywhere.

    Can we please get a fix for this as I'm being driven bats**t crazy by this every time it happens..

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-02T11:57:40+00:00

    Hello Sandy,

    Good morning!   

    Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We are happy to help you. 

      Please Sandy, let me know if the issue still persists after try the Amgad Abdrabbu suggestion

    We look forward to your reply. We will continue to assist you based on the information you provide. I sincerely appreciate your patience and cooperation.   SincerelyEben Ezer Tres | Microsoft Community Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments