I'm currently using the new Outlook, how do I easily insert a horizontal line in an email, now that that feature has been removed the "Insert" menu?

Anonymous
2024-03-25T20:20:43+00:00

I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out how to insert a horizontal line in an email.

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-26T00:06:09+00:00

    Dear Daniel,

    Good day!

    Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are glad to assist!

    Based on your description regarding "I'm currently using the new Outlook, how do I easily insert a horizontal line in an email, now that that feature has been removed the "Insert" menu?". After thorough research and testing I found that you are definitely right. This particular setting only exists in the classic Outlook and is not yet available in New Outlook for Windows at this moment.  The New Outlook is in a Preview state, and they are still working on the platform/foundation of the application itself. At this stage of the development, luckily If you heavily rely on this feature, you may consider toggling out of the new Outlook for Windows preview for now.

    However, thank you so much for bringing this to our attention, your suggestion is very helpful, and I believe it could make the use of New Outlook even better. We will surely raise your concerns to our Product Development Team and hopefully this can be included in the future updates. In the meantime, we sincerely recommend you post your concern as an idea to our Outlook feedback site via Outlook · Community (microsoft.com) our Product Development Team are committed to enhancing the customer experience by continually examining suggestions to include in the design and development of future product upgrades based on your suggestions. Hopefully your suggestion will help many other people in the future. Customers’ feedbacks are always valuable for us. Thanks for your precious time and your understanding would be highly appreciated. Have a nice day!

    Best regards,

    Inema |Community Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    70+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-27T14:22:03+00:00

    Thank you for your reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-04T03:35:53+00:00

    I have the same problem. I often right click to copy and insert text or links into email drafts using the old Mail app. The new one won't do that. It is a big loss in convenience and functionality. It's also very cumbersome to manage multiple email accounts in the menus. I haven't found a way to pin the new Outlook Calendar to the taskbar either, so I am forced to go back through Outlook email to open it. The widget is not as useful. The separate calendar app is better unless there is a way to open new Outlook calendar separately.

    The old Mail app is way cleaner and easier. I tried the new Outlook for over a month and ditched it. I plan to hang onto the old app as long as possible even though I have to override the constant reminders to switch. If the functionality issues aren't fixed, then I'll move and use something else.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-09T18:29:30+00:00

    Same issue here. Noticing quite a loss of functionality with New Outlook. Attachments, horizontal rules, editing options -- not ready for prime time, you guys. Keep working on it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-13T23:31:50+00:00

    I've found that using --- as a shorthand way to add a line also doesn't work in new Outlook. And without quick parts, I can't add a quickpart for --- to insert a line either..

    I keep trying to switch to new outlook, but honestly it feels like they took outlook and tried to make it more simple to use, which is great, but only did so by removing features.

    Anyone found a good way to replace quick parts? I rely on it heavily in my day-to-day so I may end up switching back until I figure that out..

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments