I'm currently using the new Outlook, how do I easily insert a horizontal line in an email, now that that feature has been removed the "Insert" menu?

Anonymous
2024-03-25T20:20:43+00:00

I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out how to insert a horizontal line in an email.

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-24T20:49:09+00:00

    Here's my workaround for this issue:

    • Create a txt file on the desktop with the following lines:

     <br />

    <div><hr /></div>

     <br />

    • Save it with whatever name you want (I called my HorizontalLine.txt)
    • Make sure you're showing file name extensions in windows explorer and then rename the file and change the extension on the file to html instead of txt.
    • Open the file in the browser
    • Highlight the empty space before the line all the way down through the empty space after the line
    • Press CTRL+C
    • Go to your email and place the cursor where you would like the line and press CTRL+V

    And since you saved this file to your desktop, it's always handy when you need a horizontal line in Outlook 365 online.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-12T18:05:45+00:00

    If you right click on the calendar app icon in "new" Outlook, you can choose "Open in New Window" :)

    Haven't figured out how to pin it to the task bar yet though...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-28T16:01:00+00:00

    I like the horizontal line feature to segregate two areas of my email to send to boss to review the information below the line.

    I use this feature frequently as well for sending folks information they need to review; would love to see it added back in for new Outlook.

    In new Outlook, my fix has been to I add in a 1x1 table, format it for about 1/3 of the width of my window, and add a bottom boarder - it isn't the most ideal but it works for me for now. Plus that is faster than trying to swap back and forth between classic & new Outlooks as I'm trying to work in new outlook to prep some guides for our teams on its functionality before it gets pushed out by our IT team.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-24T13:20:54+00:00

    Same issue here. I like the horizontal line feature to segregate two areas of my email to send to boss to review the information below the line. Please add this feature back in new outlook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-21T13:34:38+00:00

    For what it is worth:

    In classic Outlook, the --- shorthand creates a "Border Line" if the relevant AutoFormat option is enabled.

    In an email using HTML formatting, a Border Line is implemented by setting the border-bottom property.

    In an email using HTML formatting, the Insert -> Horizontal Line functionality is implemented by inserting a horizontal rule (<hr> element).

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments