I'm currently using the new Outlook, how do I easily insert a horizontal line in an email, now that that feature has been removed the "Insert" menu?

Anonymous
2024-03-25T20:20:43+00:00

I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out how to insert a horizontal line in an email.

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-07-10T19:29:23+00:00

    Thanks for sharing. There are also some additional line variations by using the equal sign (=), asterisk (*), and pound sign (#) for a little change of pace :-).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-07-04T14:33:40+00:00

    I also hate that the new Outlook doesn't offer that as well. A quick workaround is to copy and paste one in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-07-02T17:50:33+00:00

    Thank you for discovering and sharing. Works very well and is easy.... case closed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-07-02T17:33:23+00:00

    I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out how to insert a horizontal line in an email.

    Not sure how long this has been available but I did find a solution to this issue.

    When you open a new email, on the far-right side of my screen under Options is the "Auto format options" button. Clicking on that brought up the option to create horizontal lines. The option was unchecked when I opened this. After selecting the option, Outlook started converting underscores and hyphens to horizontal lines.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-06-18T16:29:42+00:00

    It's just too bad that everyone who worked on the New (& "improved" 🙄) version of Outlook's feature list and functionality cannot be just "DOGE'd". If there ever was a group that needed to be let go from work, it's this group. Seriously!!! I too, was recently a victim of being forced suddenly to the new Outlook 365 and this affects my productivity so much. Even the simplest of tasks take an inordinate amount of time - experimenting with Outlook / going back and forth between the New and Old versions / Googling to find out if others have had the same issues and if they have resolved them.

    How is this supposed to be an improvement? If this new version of Outlook was not supposed to be an improvement or for adding new features, what exactly was the purpose?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments