my emails from the inbox all disappeared suddenly this morning. How can i get them back?

Anonymous
2024-02-17T10:10:38+00:00

Hi A week ago all my emails disappeared - new emails come in - but all my emails from years back - I need them for tax purposes etc - so this is really distressing.

I have a PC running on Windows 11 - One drive is connected - The emails are not in the deleted folder - nor in the archive folder - I can't find them - yet when I search one - they show up - I can search for instance an email name and then many emails will show up - but they are not in my feed. It is my outlook account.

HELP? I am not a computer wizz so maybe there is a simple trick.

Thank you Barbara Droubay

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-15T13:23:39+00:00

    Thank you!! This worked.

    I'm no computer expert so I'll share the steps I took to simplify this for people like me out there.

    In Outlook, go to file, account setting, account setting, data files, then click on your email account name, click "open file location", then locate your latest Outlook data file and re-name it (add "- old" to the end of the file), note your Outlook needs to be closed before it let you rename the file. Then re-open Outlook, this will force the program to download data from the server and somehow magically you'll start seeing emails show up in your inbox. I hope this helps some folks out there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-11-07T21:35:25+00:00

    Hi All,

    I was able to get this working again. If you are able to search for the missing emails, and they come up, you may be in luck. The new Archive feature Microsoft rolled out is causing the whole inbox to become archived differently than before without configuration. Unfortunately, they will not show up in your Archive folder until you rebuild your .OST. Once you have deleted (or moved just to be safe) the old .OST file, open CLASSIC Outlook. Once everything syncs, go to your archive, and everything should be there. Makes no sense to me, but this worked. Good luck all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-11-06T15:24:59+00:00

    I'm adding myself to this complaint. I access my gmail through Outlook. I went from having 1000 of emails to zero; one opening of my phone app to the next.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-08T23:29:36+00:00

    Are you using Outlook (new) apparently there a loads of bugs

    If you go back to outlook (classic) - I found all my emails in the deleted items

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-10-08T21:02:20+00:00

    happend to me as well today. Any solutions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments